GSA recap – May 7

By Janet Nguyen

The UCLA Graduate Students Association is the voice of graduate students on campus. The association meets for forum every three weeks and takes positions on current issues affecting graduate students. Forum meetings are at 7 p.m. in the Ackerman Viewpoint Lounge.

Officer reports

• GSA President Nicole Robinson said the Master’s and Ph.D. Career conference on Thursday was successful and she hopes that it will continue next year. She added that she plans to meet with University of California President Janet Napolitano on Monday to discuss ways to increase support for graduate students at the UC level.
  • Nina Drucker, vice president of internal affairs, distributed a survey to forum to receive feedback on her role as vice president of internal affairs. She said that those who turned in requisition forms past the April 25 deadline will have to wait longer to receive their requests.
  • Hope McCoy, vice president of external affairs, was not present at the meeting.
  • Cody Trojan, vice president of academic affairs, said the Academic Senate has created a formal proposal to establish a program that would enable undergraduate students to become teaching assistants.

Special presentations

• Weiwei Wen, director of communication for GSA, presented a revamped design of the GSA website to forum. She said the update is meant to make navigating the site easier, and that the new design should be implemented in the upcoming weeks.
  • Andrés Schneider, GSA discretionary funding director, said that about $25,800 has been allocated to different graduate student organizations over the course of the academic year.

Compiled by Janet Nguyen, Bruin contributor.

Janet Nguyen