Monday, Dec. 5, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

New UC vice president of laboratory management announced

By Kristen Taketa

National and global security scientist Kim Budil will be the University of California’s new vice president for laboratory management, the UC announced on Tuesday.

She will replace current vice president Glenn Mara, who worked for the UC for more than 40 years, as head of the three UC-affiliated national laboratories – Lawrence Berkeley, Lawrence Livermore and Los Alamos. The three are centers of sometimes classified research relating to weapons, defense, counterterrorism and other national security-related issues, in addition to other areas like information science, energy and bioscience.

Budil will earn a base salary of $355,000 in addition to benefits like pension and a car allowance, said Chris Harrington, UC spokesman. Her salary will come from non-state funds and funds from the U.S. Department of Energy.

Mara received a base salary of $251,913 in 2012.

Budil has worked in several UC laboratory programs, including Global Security, Weapons and Complex Integration, the National Ignition Facility and Physical and Life Sciences. She also has extensive experience working with federal science and security programs, including the National Nuclear Security Administration and the U.S. Departments of State, Homeland Security, Defense and Energy.

Compiled by Kristen Taketa, Bruin senior staff.

Kristen Taketa
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]