Saturday, May 4, 2024

UCLA to host pre-doctoral workshop for minority students

By Fernando Aquino

The Luskin School of Public Affairs will co-host the 2014 Summer Pre-Doctoral Workshop for Students of Color for the second consecutive year.

The Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning sent a call out last year for schools interested in hosting a workshop for pre-doctoral students in ethnically underrepresented groups who plan to enter the field of urban planning.

USC and UCLA will co-host the workshop, which aims to enroll African-American, Latino, Native American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander students.

The first two days of the four-day workshop will take place at USC’s Ralph and Goldy Lewis Hall, where it will be hosted by Marlon Boarnet, director of graduate programs in urban planning at the university.

UCLA will host the last two days of the workshop in the Public Affairs building. It will be led by Professor and Chair of Urban Planning Evelyn Blumenberg.

Franklin D. Gilliam, Jr., the dean of the Luskin School of Public Affairs, said he thinks the main interest for the workshop is to foster diversity of under-represented racial minority backgrounds.

The workshop will include networking with planning scholars from UCLA, USC and other top national and international programs. Information sessions topics presented will include applying for PhD study, linking research and the community, preparing for doctoral study and mentoring sessions with senior scholars and graduate students in urban planning.

Attendees who are not residents of California will receive room and board and a travel stipend, only requiring them to partially pay for a flight if the stipend does not suffice to cover the cost, said Jennifer Choy, associate director of admissions & recruitment for the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs.

Application forms are on the Luskin School of Public Affairs’ website. The application deadline is Friday. Notification of application status will begin rolling out the week of May 12. The program will begin July 20 and end July 24.

Compiled by Fernando Aquino, Bruin contributor.

Fernando Aquino