Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

Jimmy John’s sandwich restaurant to open near UCLA

By Sam Hoff

Westwood Village will soon be home to the first Los Angeles franchise of the popular Midwestern sandwich chain Jimmy John’s.

The restaurant will open in August in a vacant space on Westwood Boulevard next to D’Amore’s Pizza, just north of Lindbrook Drive, said Rick Chancellor, western region vice president for the McDevitt Company.

Jimmy John’s has more than 1,600 locations across the country, according to their website. Their closest current location to UCLA, in Pasadena, opened in December.

Chancellor said the chain is expanding to the California market, and is targeting college markets. In March, the chain opened a store in Isla Vista near UC Santa Barbara.

The new restaurant will open in a space formerly used by Sandbags, another sandwich shop which closed in 2012. Sandbags struggled for years to attract business from UCLA students.

Steve Sann, chair of the Westwood Community Council, said that though Jimmy John’s is not a local business, he is excited to see Westwood fill more of its empty storefronts with businesses students will enjoy.

“Any time you see a ‘leased’ sign in a window, it puts a smile on my face because it shows momentum and investment in Westwood.” Sann said.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]