Humans of Holi 2014

By Austin Yu

"Finally, I get to spend a Desi holiday with all of my Desi friends. I have so many South Asian friends and finally I get to spend one of their holidays with them."
Third-year business economics and finance student from Sweden Lukas Nordin.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"It's my first time. I would do it again if they do it next year. It's a lot of fun meeting new people."
Second-year economics student Ron Balchandani

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"I've lived in India for six years, so it'€™s hard to compare Holi in India to Holi here because of how much more unruly it is in India. Holi here was a great time for meeting new people and an all-around good way to get rid of my stress, even though it'€™s only second week."
First-year economics student Akash Raman

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"There's no water, which is the biggest problem. Water, eggs, muddy water and ketchup is all we need to make Holi complete."
First-year business economics student Dhruv Goel

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"My Holi experience is probably the best experience I've ever had. We've all come together and enjoyed this Indian festival and I love it."
Second-year biology student Ayesha Patil

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"I had a lot of fun. This year was more organized than last year so I definitely had more fun with more colors. You can't actually compare it to Holi in India, but it's pretty fun. It's better than last year for sure."
Second-year civil engineering student Kamaldeep Sheokand

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"I'm making friends with a lot of people and giving people a lot of chances to take selfies which is always fun. It makes a good photo for them which is funny." Fourth-year neuroscience student Alyssa Capili

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"I'm having a crazy time. I think I'm like fully colored I can't even see myself. I'm going to have to snapchat it later."
Fourth-year psychobiology student Moosa Ahmed

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"It was amazing! I got color up my teeth and my nose, but it was awesome!"
First-year biology student Rebecca Yang

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"Powder was flying, it was so much fun! I'm definitely going to be doing it next year and every year after that that I'm here."
Second-year mechanical engineering student Matthew Miller

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"We were scared that we weren't going to get a ticket because of stand-by, but then we came here and they were really receptive and it was a blast! Best way to spend a Saturday, for sure." Mitchell Harring, a third-year economics student, and Ilona Tarnavsky, a second-year biophysics student.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"It was way better than last year. It was so much more well organized. I got here last year kind of late so the powder ran out, but they had plenty of powder for everyone and it was super fun. I see it in movies and stuff but it's a lot of fun to do it, too!"
Fourth-year physiological science student Alina Naqvi

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"It was so much color, so much fun, just running around, hanging out with friends and meeting a bunch of new people."
First-year philosophy student Bradly Palmer

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"This is my fourth year doing Holi and this is the first year I've done it without water. I'm a little disappointed to see that we can't use water because that's traditional and that's how you have fun at Holi. It's like a water fight when the water's mixed with the colored powder. It's much more fun with water. The individual packets totally worked. We all got one and thought that was the only one we were going to get and then throughout the entire event we kept getting more and more color. It lasted a lot longer than when they just had piles of dry powder and you had to run over and get it. I hope they have help to clean it up because we made a giant mess, but it was definitely fun, I just wish we could use water."
Fourth-year musical theater student Gwenna McKee

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"I thought it worked! I wasn't expecting the little individual bags to work but it worked so well and it was such a fun time just to have everybody come out and get colorful."
Second-year music education student Kelly Moe

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

"I knew it was going to be fun because I see the pictures every year, but it was really cool to learn about what it's actually about and how it's about the welcoming of spring and the colorfulness of it. It was really fun to participate!"
Second-year dance student Giovanna Dan

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Austin Yu | Alumnus