ASUCLA representatives inform students about association

By Jessica Doumit

Student government officials hosted a meeting with an undergraduate representative from Associated Students UCLA in hopes of educating students about the association.

Joel Ontiveros, an undergraduate representative on the ASUCLA Board of Directors and a fifth-year communication studies and world arts and cultures/dance student, introduced students to the basic functions and goals of ASUCLA at the event. ASUCLA is made up of the Undergraduate Students Association, the Graduate Students Association, Student Media and campus services and enterprises.

ASUCLA is one of the few governing bodies at UCLA in which students have a student majority on the board, Ontiveros said. Eight of the 14 members on ASUCLA’s board are UCLA students, four are undergraduate and four are graduate students.

Ontiveros discussed the initiatives and services that ASUCLA oversees on campus, including the coffee shops and the first ASUCLA T-shirt design contest, which was run in collaboration with the Undergraduate Student Association Council’s General Representative 2 office.

The idea for the panel was introduced to the General Representative 2 office by Scout Ocampo, a second-year economics students who serves as the director of ASUCLA relations in the General Representative 2 office.

Ocampo worked with Trent Kajikawa, a second-year business economics student and Hailey Hermanson, a second-year English student, who both serve as directors of panels in the General Representative 2 office.

“There is lack of transparency when students think of ASUCLA, they probably don’t know what it stands for,” Ocampo said.

The event was publicized throughout social media last week, encouraging all students to attend, Kajikawa said.

Ocampo said that they hope to hold future meetings with ASUCLA.

Jessica Doumit