Bruins Night Out dishes great deals for students

For the first time since Bruins Night Out was started three years ago, a TV show, “Game of Thrones,” will screen a preview showing during the event. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Alex Torpey

Westwood’s sixth Bruin’s Night Out event will take place Wednesday night, with more than 40 deals or discounts for UCLA students and a free premier screening of the new season of the television series “Game of Thrones.”

The event, which was first held in 2011, will organized by the Westwood Community Council, the undergraduate student government’s Campus Events Commission and General Representative 1 office and, for the first time, HBO.

The screening of “Game of Thrones,” which starts at 8 p.m. in the Regency Bruin Theater, is the first of it’s kind during a night out event. The event usually premiers a 3D movie, according to Steve Sann, chair of the Westwood Community Council. Students had to register online to attend the screening, which is currently sold out, according to the Facebook page created by the Campus Events Commission. A standby line will be available for students who were not able to secure a seat online.

The event, which happened quarterly in its first year and twice last year, only happened once this year because the General Representative 1 office and the Campus Events Commission were waiting for a preview option that would attract the most students, said Yoni Alon, a General Representative 1 office staff member who coordinated with Sann.

“The goal is to get everyone out and to have a good time in (Westwood),” Alon said.

There are several new restaurants in Westwood, including Barbacoa Mexican Grill and ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen, that will participate for the first time.

ShopHouse will offer one free bowl to students from 4:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., and Barbacoa will have a buy one, get one free deal from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Some participating retailers will feature all day deals – Brandy Melville will offer 15 percent off clothes and an Adriano Goldschmied Jeans pop-up shop will offer 20 percent off.

Mike Kelley, owner of Barbacoa Mexican Grill, which opened in March, said he hopes this event will bring the restaurant to students’ attention because he’s seen few students in his restaurant.

“What I want is a line around the block,” Kelley said.

Bars and restaurants that serve alcohol will have deals on drinks into the night. All of the deals are listed on the event Facebook page.

This is a chance to let people know the exciting new fun stuff to do in the Village. The idea is to introduce these news stores, shops and restaurants,” Sann said.

Alex Torpey