USAC sets elections calendar for spring

By Camille Von Kaenel

Students interested in running for office in the upcoming undergraduate student government elections can pick up candidate application packets starting Monday.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council elections will be held during the sixth week of spring quarter, at the beginning of May. To run as a candidate for one of the 13 councilmember positions, undergraduate students must fulfill certain conditions and meet deadlines set out in the elections timeline.

The annual elections constitute a heated time for some students on campus. Last year, three slates ran candidates in the elections and about 36 percent of the student body voted. A slate is a group of students that pool their resources to run candidates in the elections.

Potential candidates must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, be currently enrolled in 4 units and have a good academic standing.

Additionally, supplementary requirements exist for some of the councilmember positions. For example,
students must have acquired specific minimum numbers of academic credits to run for president, internal vice president or external vice president.

Students can pick up a candidate application packet starting at noon on Monday in Kerkchoff Hall room 313.

Potential candidates must also gather at least 75 signatures from enrolled undergraduate students by the final due date on April 4.

The winter candidate packets must be turned in by March 14 for the gathered signatures to be valid, said Anthony Padilla, the USAC Election Board chair.

Students may continue or start collecting signatures with new packets distributed in spring quarter starting March 31.

A mandatory orientation session for candidates and campaign representatives will be held on April 10 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. in the Global Viewpoint Lounge, Padilla said. The orientation will go over election rules, which can be accessed on the USAC website.

Compiled by Camille von Kaenel, Bruin contributor.

Camille Von Kaenel