Kappa Delta passes out blue balloons to boost confidence

Members of the UCLA Kappa Delta sorority handed out balloons with messages on them as a part of their You Make Me Smile campaign on Friday. (Tamaryn Kong/Daily Bruin)

By Tyson Ni

Hundreds light blue balloons with inspirational messages written on them filled Westwood on Friday, as part of a campaign to boost confidence in young women.

The campaign called “You Make Me Smile” is an annual event organized by the sorority Kappa Delta as part of the Confidence Coalition, the chapter’s national movement to help women and girls to stand up to peer pressure and end abusive relationships. Organizations like Girl Scouts of the USA and Girl Talk are also members of the coalition.

In addition to passing out the balloons, Kappa Delta hosted a dinner on Friday evening for 75 girl scouts at at their sorority house, a new addition to the event this year.

This year’s event also featured a canvas project in which Girl Scouts painted messages to send to those affected by last year’s Boston bombings.

Many of the Girl Scouts at the dinner were involved with Kappa Delta’s previous philanthropies, which focused on preventing bullying and promoting good sportsmanship. Tori Brkich, a second-year economics student and the vice president of communications of Kappa Delta, said she believed the returning Girl Scouts would benefit from developing closer relationships with their mentors.

The event was fully funded by the Kappa Delta Foundation, allowing Kappa Delta to focus on getting the confidence-boosting messages across to as many people as possible, said Brkich.

Megan Quan, a second-year biology student, received a balloon which said “You are stronger than you think.” Quan said she appreciated the gesture and would keep the balloon.

Joyce Ramat, a second-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student who passed out the balloons on campus, said she hoped the balloons would make people smile and be more confident.

“I think it will a good reminder for girls who get caught up in the hustle and bustle of school to take a moment to remember it’s important to be strong and confident,” Ramat said.

Tyson Ni