A tour of three UCLA recycling and waste management sites

By Austin Yu

Bundles of e-waste are organized in the e-Recycling of California recycling site in Irvine.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

A worker at the e-Recycling of California e-waste recycling site in Irvine works on recovering materials from pieces of electronic waste, including some that traveled from UCLA.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

A piece of electronic waste at the e-Recycling e-waste recycling site in Irvine.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Boxes of e-waste are sorted and organized throughout the facility.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

A large mound of waste, including trash that comes from UCLA, piled up at the Allan Company recycling site in Santa Monica.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Recycled materials sit in bins, ready to be weighted and evaluated at the Allan Company recycling site.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

A copy of January 11's Los Angeles Times can be seen in one of the piles of trash in the Allan Company recycling site.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

A pile of glass bottles sits in a dumpster at the Allan Company site.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

A stream of trash flows down the line at the Athens Services Materials Recovery Facility in the City of Industry, where it gets sorted by workers looking for recyclable materials.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Workers scavenge materials from the stacks at the Athens Services Materials Recovery Facility.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Piles of trash are stacked at the Athens Services Materials Recovery Facility. It is one of six sites that handles the massive amount of waste coming from UCLA's campus.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

More workers at the Athens Services Facility sift through garbage to find recyclable materials.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Austin Yu | Alumnus