Sunday, May 19, 2024

Cooperative housing: an affordable option for UCLA students

Bijun Liang

By Bria Chavez

UCLA students have the opportunity to live in a Los Angeles cultural landmark for about half of the cost of on-campus dorms. Located just two blocks away from the UCLA campus, the University Cooperative Housing Association is available for any students looking to save money while still living in a diverse community. UCHA offers three residential buildings, where more than 400 students from all over the world must share their space and work together to keep the Co-op functioning. Residents share the stories and experiences of their first quarter living at the Co-op, including social life, work shifts, and overall experiences.

TRANSCRIPT:

CHAVEZ: Similar to the ’90s television series “The Real World,” UCLA offers a living situation, where a group of strangers share one home and work together to keep it functioning. The “Co-op” is known for its affordable cost, social life and the convenience of living close to campus. Several residents share their experience of living in the Co-op.

JEFFERSON: My name is Jefferson. I’m from France and my major is business.

THOMAS: I’m Jacob Thomas. I’m a PhD student in sociology.

JONES: Hi I’m Shamika Jones. I’m a junior at UCLA. My major is sociology.

FITCH: Hi my name’s Ally Fitch. I just graduated from UCLA in June.

TAE TOE: I’m Kim Tae Toe. I’m from Japan and I’m going to UCLA Extension and I’m studying business.

CHAVEZ: University Cooperative Housing Association – or the Co-op – is student-run housing, where residents work to keep the Co-op running, party (fade in music) to keep it lively, and share to keep it functioning and working. (Let music play for like 4 seconds and fade out). Fitch states what kind of mindset it takes to succeed at living at the Co-op.

FITCH: you have to be communally minded to succeed in living here because you’re sharing a space with so many people, whether it be your dining space, your bathroom, your room. You’re always surrounded by people.

CHAVEZ: For some, the more the merrier. But you know how the saying goes: “Two is company, three’s a crowd.” Thomas attests to this.

THOMAS: The bad side has been coming in here with no seniority and having to share a room with two other people. But on the plus side, this place has a wonderful sense of community. We’re something like a big family.

CHAVEZ:  Although it may be a hard adjustment, the Co-op is a populated melting pot where there is always something to do.

FITCH : There’s 400 people living here, so there’s always someone’s birthday occasion to celebrate or someone’s cultural holiday.

CHAVEZ: Shamika Jones, a second-year sociology student explains.

JONES: There’s a lot of parties. I don’t go to all of them, but there’s always something to do. We have like a social crew here.

CHAVEZ: Living in the Co-op is not always fun and games. It’s required of all residents to contribute at least four hours a week to help keep the Co-op in order. Several residents unanimously agreed upon one of the worst chore shifts.
The kitchen staff is responsible for preparing meals for around 400 residents.

FITCH: Some days, it’s better than others. Some days, it’s healthier than others. There tends to be a lot of fried foods. So all our meals are there for us – like you show up and you have food to eat.  So you have other Co-opers helping make your food, essentially.

CHAVEZ: Thomas explains how mealtimes are similar to community gatherings.

THOMAS: Sitting around the table every evening and being able to practice Mandarin and Spanish and French and really feeling like there’s a lot of people here who I’m friends with.

CHAVEZ: According to veteran Co-opers, it takes a certain type of attitude to live in a large and cultural setting like the Co-op.

JONES: It definitely takes a team player, like you have to know how to work well with others and take direction well.

THOMAS: It’s much better if you’re outgoing. It does take a certain ability to be able to tolerate and be open and be flexible and be able to interact with people. Um, there are people who’ve been thrown out of the Co-op and it’s people that have a hard time getting along with people and resolving conflicts and are selfish, and that kind of goes against all the whole idea of the Co-op.

FITCH: You have to be open and willing to share your space with other people, be open to other people. I think you have to be really open-minded to have a good time living here, because you have people coming from so many different cultures and different languages. You have to be patient and you have to meet people halfway… I think there’s a lot to be learned.

CHAVEZ: As spring quarter is approaching quickly, it is a crucial time for students to arrange their housing situation for next year. Students interested in applying for cooperative housing must apply at least two months in advance. However, admission is on a rolling basis. More information can be found on the UCHA website: www.uchaonline.com.
For Daily Bruin Radio, this is Bria Chavez.

Bria Chavez