UCLA women’s water polo finishes 2-1 at Stanford Invitational

Freshman utility Mackenzie Barr said the Bruins wanted to start strong against Stanford last weekend, but UCLA fell flat, losing the game 8-4.

By Erik Rehnberg

Three weeks into the season, the UCLA women’s water polo team is still a bit rough around the edges. While the team easily handled its first nine opponents, two tougher opponents showed some chinks in the Bruins’ armor during the Stanford Invitational last weekend.

While No. 3 UCLA (11-1) easily dispatched Michigan and San Jose State, No. 4 California was able to draw UCLA in regulation, although the Bruins won in overtime. However, No. 2 Stanford proved to be too much for UCLA, defeating the Bruins 8-4 in a game that was close until the third quarter.

Coach Brandon Brooks chalked some of the Bruins’ problems this weekend up to lapses in their play throughout the weekend. He also highlighted a lack of “killer instinct” in the team, something the team has been working on since its first tournament.

“We didn’t get that into it,” he said of the game against Cal.

Although the Bruins led most of the game, they were unable to prevent a Golden Bear comeback that sent the game into overtime, tied 8-8.

While a last-minute goal from junior attacker Emily Donohoe saved the Bruins in that game, no one player could help against the Cardinal. Two goals from sophomore attacker Rachel Fattal kept the Bruins in the game at the half, only down 3-2, while redshirt junior goalkeeper Sami Hill’s 10 saves during the game matched the performance of Stanford’s Gabby Stone.

“I think we finished poorly in our last game,” Brooks said.

The “killer instinct” Brooks mentioned was something the Bruins knew they may have been lacking coming into the Stanford tournament. Freshman utility Mackenzie Barr said “coming out strong” is a large challenge for her team in an interview before the weekend’s tournaments.

She also highlighted issues the team had been having with staying focused on the game and “being really aggressive”the whole game.

On the bright side, Brooks talked about the team’s enthusiasm so far this season, while Hill said she thinks the team is more cohesive than in previous seasons.

“We’re more of a team than we have been in the past, even in the beginning (of the season). It’s like everyone is finding their spot. It’s good,” Hill said.

The Bruins have time to work out the remaining kinks – they do not play again until a Feb. 13 matchup with the No. 5 UC Irvine Anteaters.

Until then, Brooks says he plans on watching film to determine exactly what the team needs to work on before the team takes on another elite program.

Erik Rehnberg