USAC proposal to live stream meetings stirs mixed emotions

By Jasmine Aquino

UCLA’s undergraduate student government said it plans to live stream its meetings by the end of winter quarter to make them more accessible to students.

Though previous members of the Undergraduate Students Association Council have discussed this initiative, this year is the first time a council has obtained a permit for live streaming. Internal Vice President Avi Oved said he plans to obtain 65 dollars from the USAC Discretionary Fund this week to buy a camera.

The live streaming could start as early as Week 7 of this quarter, Oved said.

“The goal is to make the USAC available to more students, including those who cannot be on campus on Tuesday nights, thereby enhancing visibility and transparency,” said Debra Geller, administrative representative to USAC.

No plans have been made to post recordings of the meetings for later viewing because council members and administrators are concerned it would allow people to more easily cyberbully council members and public commenters.

Council members also have the option of opening a messaging feature during the live stream, which would allow students to make public comments during the meetings. But administrators and council members said they worry that such unmonitored or unfiltered comments could allow individuals to attack council members and other students at the meetings.

“Right now it’s a pilot program. We don’t know what’s going to work and what’s not going to work,” Oved said.

USAC council members have previously discussed the issue and raised concerns about how live streaming could interfere with students’ privacy.

Last quarter, USAC External Vice President Maryssa Hall expressed discomfort with the idea of live streaming because a USAC meeting can be a personal space for the council members.

Savannah Badalich, the USAC student wellness commissioner, often talks about her experience as a survivor of sexual assault at USAC meetings.

Badalich said she thinks live streaming will stop some people from sharing personal stories, but that it should not be a reason to not stream the meetings.

During last quarter’s discussion, USAC President John Joaninosaid he thought the recordings would make public commentators feel uncomfortable, but said he now has no concerns about moving forward with the project because other council members have been voicing support for it.

Oved said he hopes the live streaming will inspire students to get involved with student government.

“(Streaming the meetings) will hopefully tackle the apathy on campus because we want to get more students involved,” Oved said. “But I really do encourage that people come in person because there’s really no substitution for face-to-face interaction between the council members and students.”

Some other students had mixed reactions about the proposal.

“It’d make me feel more involved and aware. Especially as a first-year at a big school, it would make me feel more connected to the (undergraduate student government),” said Marialicia Gonzalez, a first-year biology student .

Xuan Dang, a fourth-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student, said he has never been to a USAC meeting and doesn’t intend to watch the live stream.

Seth Ronquillo, the co-chair of Improving Dreams, Equality, Access and Success at UCLA, has attended multiple meetings this year to make public comments on behalf of undocumented students.

He said he has mixed feelings about live streaming USAC meetings because he thinks students should go to USAC meetings to voice their concerns to council members, and live streaming might decrease students’ direct engagement with USAC.

Oved said USAC is still considering recording and posting USAC meetings for later viewing.

Jasmine Aquino | Alumnus
Jasmine Aquino was an assistant Opinion editor in the 2016-2017 year. Previously, she was an Opinion and News contributor.