Letter to the Editor: Student support for Proposition 13 reform unwarranted

By Eitan Arom

It was absolutely outrageous to read Katie Shepherd’s column in the Daily Bruin on Jan. 22 and see photos of UCLA students screaming demands to “reform” Proposition 13. Before Proposition 13, senior citizens were in danger of being taxed out of their homes after 30 years, more or less, of making mortgage and property tax payments so they could have a roof over their heads in their “golden” years of retirement.

And the gall of these uninformed loudmouths. They arrogantly demanded that our senior citizen homeowners, who are even paying taxes in their retirement when they have reduced income or no income, pay their student fees. Have they no shame?

Assuming these students seek more funding for their education, I bet they could find a lot of other ways that their tuition could be reduced. But it seems as if they did not even consider looking to other sources.

As a side issue, here we have students who are supposed to be the best in academic accomplishment, yet they did not even have the common sense to understand that Proposition 13 has nothing to do with their tuition, as Shepherd pointed out. This is a fact they should have taken into consideration before they took to the streets unashamedly screaming demands for others to pay students’ way. Didn’t these “intelligent” kids realize that their demands would ultimately give that disastrous effect on their very own parents when their parents have paid off their homes and are ready to retire?

Leon Perlsweig

Attorney, Woodland Hills

Eitan Arom