Nonprofit networking night connects students with professionals

By Camille Von Kaenel

An on-campus networking event on Feb. 19 aims to connect students interested in nonprofit work with professionals from an array of organizations.

Students must register by Feb. 3 on the Undergraduate Students Association Council’s Community Service Commission website to attend the event, which will take place in the Carnesale Pavilion.

The event expanded this year to include a new panel discussion and more organizations because of the larger size of the new venue, said Andrea Murray, fourth-year English student and internal programming coordinator for CSC.

Murray
said 20 organizations and about 100 students have registered as of Jan. 27, but she expects about 40 nonprofit organizations and 320 students to attend. Last year, around 25 organizations and 270 students attended.

CSC is hosting the event along with the UCLA Volunteer Center, the UCLA Career Center, Partnership UCLA, the UCLA Office of Residential Life and UCLA Alumni.

The event will include a speed networking fair from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. to match students with nonprofit professionals looking to fill various positions. A panel featuring a question and answer session with around five nonprofit representatives will take place from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in the Hermosa Break Room. Students can also attend an information session in the Venice Break Room from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. where they can learn how to network effectively before the fair.

The nonprofit representatives attending the event work in a variety of fields, such as education, environment, health and public policy. For example, Teach for America and the Downtown Women’s Center will attend.

Karen Campbell, the founder of Community Counts, an organization connecting nonprofits and volunteers, will also make a keynote speech.

Murray said she attended last year’s event and found an internship position with People Assisting the Homeless. She said she thinks the Nonprofit Networking Night helped her find a concrete way to help others and she wants other students to find similar opportunities.

Compiled by Camille Von Kaenel, Bruin contributor.

Camille Von Kaenel