Thursday, May 16, 2024

Rotary Club honors Steve Sann for service to Westwood Village

By Daily Bruin

The Westwood Village Rotary Club members honored Steve Sann, chairman of the Westwood Community Council, for his service and dedication to the community at their meeting Thursday.

In order to become a Paul Harris Fellow of Rotary International, one must donate $1,000 to the Rotary International Annual Program Fund. In Sann’s case the fellowship was funded by the Schwartz Family Trust.

Sann, whose service to the Westwood area largely began after graduating from the UCLA School of Law in 1991, said he was surprised and honored when he was notified he would be receiving the fellowship.

At the meeting, Mark Rogo, president of the Westwood Village Rotary Club, acknowledged Sann for the several facets of his service, including being the founding chairman of the Westwood Community Council, a founder of the Friends of Westwood Library, and the founder of Westwood Organized Meaningful Projects, among other organizations.

After receiving his fellowship, Sann gave a speech in which he thanked the Rotarians and expressed his love of service.

“Service to others is an essential ingredient to a life well-lived,” Sann said.

He then took Rotarians back in time with about an hourlong presentation on the history of the Village dating back to its development in the 1920s. With a collection of black and white photographs to assist him, Sann described the days when Westwood was flush with bean fields and the ocean could be still be seen from UCLA campus’ Janss Steps.

Sann said of the meeting, “Having so many friends share that moment with me was an incredible feeling and I will never forget it.”

Compiled by John Peter Cavender, Bruin contributor.

Daily Bruin

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999