UC President Napolitano announces budget cuts

By Daily Bruin

University of California President Janet Napolitano said she plans to institute an immediate hiring cap, a 10 percent reduction in employee travel and other cutbacks to slim the UC Office of the President’s budget.

At the UC Board of Regents meeting on Wednesday, Napolitano said these cutbacks will help keep her office’s budget at the same level for the 2014-2015 fiscal year as mandatory costs like pension contributions increase costs for the UC. She had promised earlier in her four-month term that she would work to make her office, which is the headquarters for the UC, more financially efficient.

“We will undertake a priority-based budget process covering the next two years that, aligned with the ongoing efficiency review, and in consultations with the campuses, will determine the appropriate size, shape and roles of the Office of the President,” Napolitano said.

Replacement positions will be subject to approval by Napolitano or her designees.

Napolitano also said any use of outside consultants or independent contractors will require approval.

Budget reductions at the Office of the President will amount up to 6.5 percent in some departments within the office, according to a UC statement.

Compiled by Kristen Taketa, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin