Thursday, May 2, 2024

UC seeks to limit number of union workers participating in upcoming strike

By Daily Bruin

A state labor board will seek a temporary restraining order at the University of California’s request, to limit the number of University of California union workers who will participate in a planned strike on Wednesday.

The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees 3299 union, which represents more than 22,000 service and patient care workers in the UC, announced last week it would strike on Wednesday to protest alleged unfair labor practices.

The UC is seeking a restraining order because such a strike would threaten public health and safety, according to a University statement released Monday. Unionized patient care workers in the UC include employees responsible for preparing equipment for surgeries, providing cancer treatment and other duties.

The University has already postponed some surgeries, such as pediatric surgeries and neurosurgeries, that were scheduled for Wednesday in anticipation of the planned strike, according to the statement. Diagnoses and treatments may also be delayed.

“It is a shame AFSCME is putting patients and students in the middle of this,” said Dwaine Duckett, UC vice president for systemwide human resources in the University statement. “We urge the union’s leadership to call off this strike and put patients and students first. They should come back to the table immediately and show some real flexibility, as the University has, so we can come to an agreement that’s fair for all employees as soon as possible.”

The University is making plans in advance to ensure patient safety and sufficient care during the strike.

Todd Stenhouse, AFSCME 3299 spokesman, said the union had already planned when it announced the strike to exempt several dozen of its workers responsible for critical patient care. The exempt workers include several respiratory therapists across the UC.

Stenhouse added that the union will set up a patient protection task force to ensure any emergency medical needs are addressed during the strike.

In May of this year, AFSCME 3299 went on strike and caused the postponement of 25 percent of surgeries at UCLA over the course of two days. AFSCME’s strike cost about $15 to $20 million to the University.

The Public Employment Relations Board will seek the strike injunction in the Sacramento County Superior Court Tuesday at 9 a.m.

Compiled by Kristen Taketa, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin