Sunday, May 5, 2024

UCLA swim and dive dominates quad meet

By Claire Fahy

The biggest challenge for the UCLA swim and dive team in its triple victory against UC Santa Barbara, Oregon State and Florida Gulf Coast University on Friday did not take place in the water, but occurred while coordinating its team cheer during a break from competition.

In a noticeable spectacle, the Bruins swayed out of sync on the pool deck as Brian Pritchard, UCLA Outdoor Adventures program manager, attempted to coordinate a cheer huddle.

“(The cheer) kind of leaves everyone hanging,” said senior freestyle specialist Ting Quah. “It makes people pay attention.”

But the cheer wasn’t the only attention-grabber on Friday.

Amid additional encouragement from teammates on the deck and parents in the stands for Parents’ Weekend, the Bruins routed their opponents in the quad meet at the Spieker Aquatics Center, moving to 4-0 on the season.

The dive team dominated both its events, claiming the first five positions in the 1-meter event and the first three in the 3-meter. Freshman Annika Lenz led the way, placing first in each.

“When I compete against other people, I just focus on myself. … Mentally and physically, I have to be confident in myself and know I can do it,” Lenz said. “I did pretty good overall. I missed a few dives so I can work on some things.”

Lenz is not the only team member with room for improvement, according to coach Cyndi Gallagher.

“Technically, we’re making a lot of changes,” Gallagher said. “We still have a little ways to go, but overall I was happy with some of the changes we made. The seniors are stepping it up.”

Quah was one such senior, capturing four wins for the Bruins in the 200-meter medley relay and the 200-meter individual medley, as well as both the 100- and 200-meter freestyle. Quah’s time of 1:48.59 in the 200 free was a UCLA/OSU/UCSB meet record.

“I’m very, very happy. The 200 free is my main event and I didn’t expect to go 1:48. I didn’t really go in thinking about the time I wanted to do, I just wanted to see how fast I was going to go,” Quah said. “It’s good to know where I’m at right now and for it being pretty early in the season, 1:48 is pretty exciting for me.”

After defeating UCSB 198-99, OSU 179-77 and FGCU 201-98, UCLA moves on to tougher challenges this week with meets on the road against No. 6 Arizona and No. 25 Arizona State.

“We look at every meet, whether it’s exhibition or someone we’ve never swam against before … like it’s serious,” Gallagher said. “We prepare for every meet like it’s our last meet.”

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.