Monday, Dec. 5, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

Janet Napolitano to outline plan for the UC system

By Daily Bruin

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

For her first major public appearance as University of California president, Janet Napolitano will outline her plan for the UC system at a public event in San Francisco on Oct. 30.

Napolitano has said she dedicated the beginning of her term, which started on Sept. 30, to listening and learning. So far in her term, she has largely kept to hosting private meetings with students, administrators and other members of the UC during her quiet and unpublicized visits to UC campuses. She has also given few and brief comments to the media.

At the upcoming event, titled “Teach for California, Research for the World,” she will announce for the first time her plans for her presidency. UC spokesman Steve Montiel said no details about the speech will be available before the event.

In a private meeting with UCLA students earlier this month, Napolitano hinted that she has already asked her office to look into initiatives to increase diversity and stabilize funding for the UC.

Napolitano will also answer questions from event attendees in a Q&A session after her presentation, which Dr. Mary Marcy, president of the Dominican University of California, will moderate.

The event, hosted by the Commonwealth Club, will be held at the Mark Hopkins Hotel in San Francisco. The Commonwealth Club regularly holds events about society, culture, politics and economics and has hosted famous public speakers like Martin Luther King, Jr., Ronald Reagan and former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Montiel said the group decided to host the event at the Mark Hopkins Hotel “to accommodate what they think will be a very large audience.”

The event is open to the public. Tickets for attendees who are not members of the Commonwealth Club will cost $25 and $10 for students.

Compiled by Kristen Taketa and Loic Hostetter, Bruin senior staff.

Correction: “Teach for California, Research for the World” is open to the public.

Daily Bruin
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]