UCPD arrest faculty member’s husband for alleged child abuse

By Yael Levin

University police recently arrested a 31-year-old man living in UCLA faculty housing on suspicion of shaking his infant daughter, officials said.

Nakendrick Foxx, who lives in UCLA faculty housing on Levering Avenue, allegedly shook his baby, who was then admitted to the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center on Sept. 9, said UCPD Lieutenant Mark Littlestone. Foxx lives with his wife, who is a faculty member at UCLA, Littlestone said.

The hospital notified police of the alleged child abuse on Sept. 9, when the baby was admitted to the hospital, Littlestone said. The baby was not released until Sept. 19. University police could not provide the exact age of the baby.

Littlestone said police believe Foxx fled to his hometown in Jackson, Alabama, immediately following the incident. UCPD contacted the Jackson Police Department, which arrested Foxx within two weeks of his arrival, Littlestone said.

Two UCPD officials flew to Alabama on Oct. 1. University police arrested Foxx and took him into custody at a Los Angeles County jail a day later, Littlestone said.

Foxx is currently being held on $130,000 bail, according to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department’s inmate database.

A friend of the baby’s mother said the mother did not want to make a statement to the Daily Bruin in order to protect the privacy of her family.

University police did not notify the UCLA community or the media when Foxx initially fled. UCPD spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein said university police did not make the incident public because it did not happen on campus and did not pose a threat to public safety.

Foxx remains in custody at the North County Correctional Facility until his hearing on Oct. 17 at 8:30 a.m., which will take place at the Los Angeles Superior Court.

Contributing reports by Jillian Beck, Bruin senior staff.

Yael Levin
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]