Thursday, May 2, 2024

Letter to the Editor: Film recommendation promotes perversity, not diversity

By Eitan Arom

In response to “Movie Review: Bad Milo!” by Aalhad Pankatar in A&E; on Oct. 2, I am dismayed that the Daily Bruin recently recommended a film about a demon living in an anal cavity. Sadly, in its inexorable effort to promote diversity, UCLA has flung the door wide open to perversity. In my view, the University’s Principles of Community pave the way for deviancy by regarding time-honored, traditional viewpoints as divisive and prejudiced. Without restraint, inclusivity becomes insane.

For example, the Los Angeles Times saw fit to extol a 2007 documentary film about people who have sex with horses. Critic Kenneth Turan describes it as “elegantly made and eerily lyrical.” Years earlier, the Los Angeles Times published a lengthy review of a stage play that portrays a pedophile in a sympathetic light. Similarly, CNN aired a compassionate report about a brother and sister in the Netherlands who want to marry each other. No doubt, incest, bestiality and pedophilia are threads in the inclusive tapestry of the moral relativist world.

Yet liberals yearn for a world that worships at the “anything goes” altar of moral relativism. Certainly, in that depraved setting, dissidents are labeled divisive and instructed to be open-minded.

Ed Murphy

UCLA alumnus, 2005

Eitan Arom