T-shirt design contest to help raise money for UniCamp

By Jennifer Crane

A UCLA T-shirt design contest geared toward raising money for UniCamp is accepting submissions from students through Nov. 12. The winner will receive a $1,000 gift card to the UCLA Store.

The contest was created by Undergraduate Students Association Council General Representative 2 Sunny Singh. The profits from the T-shirt’s sales will go to UniCamp, a non-profit organization that sends children from low income families to summer camp.

Singh said he thought of the idea during spring quarter last year, after realizing there were no student-designed products in the UCLA Store.

“(The gift card) is an incentive we created to get unique, cool designs that we don’t see in the UCLA Store,” Singh said.

The amount of money donated to UniCamp will be determined after the design of the T-shirt is chosen, Singh said. It depends on how elaborate the design is, he added.

The contest is also meant to bridge the gap between students and Associated Students UCLA, which runs UCLA’s licensing and store amongst other things.

Some students see the UCLA store and ASUCLA as a business and do not know the ASUCLA Board of Directors is made up of students as well as faculty, staff and administration, Singh said.

“Students will be able to see the UCLA store and ASUCLA engaging with them,” Singh said. “They are going to see ASUCLA not making a profit.”

Voting for the best design will be held online from Nov. 18 to 22. The winner will be announced on Dec. 2, and the shirt will be available for purchase starting the first week of winter quarter through the end of 2014.

Jennifer Crane