Humans of Westwood: Fall 2013 Week 1

By Erin Ng

"What are you looking forward to most this year?"
"I guess to just make the most of it. I want to spend what time I have left with the friends I have."
"So you're a senior?"
"A fifth-year. I'm getting my post-bac in bio."
"To you, what is the most interesting thing about biology?"
"Well right now I'm taking an evolutionary medicine course and I thought it was really interesting because many diseases that occur in humans also happen in animals, but physicians don't study them together. We can gain a lot from studying with vets also."
Seen by Kerckhoff Hall.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"I'm a linguistics major and this quarter I'm taking sign language and Mandarin."
"Wow, that's really cool. Why those two languages?"
"Well sign language I've taken since high school. Mandarin was more my challenging language and I thought it'd be useful since China's kind of taking over the world."
Seen by the Shapiro Fountain.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"That's an interesting shirt."
"Thanks. We're a youth mentoring program for underserved kids in North Hollywood, thus the 'No Ho.' The shirt causes a lot of confusion."
Seen on Bruin Walk.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"This is actually my brother's guitar. I'm waiting for him as he gets some books. I played for hours last night and my fingers actually hurt a lot."
"What kind of music do you play?"
"I play a lot of Christian music and some R&B."
"Do you play often?"
"Every other day. I would play all day if I could."
"What's your favorite thing about it?"
"I love when all these sounds come together. I love harmonizing. Music just calms you. I like all types of music really. It's a way for people to express their background and where they come from. It's unique."
Seen by Ackerman Student Union.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"I like to play (the ukulele) every now and then when I'm not in the library. It's one of the many instruments I play, but I like it cause it's portable and it's very chill and easy to pick up. I played football in high school and some of my teammates were Samoan – they all taught me before the ukulele got popular."
Seen by Janss Steps.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"What's one of your favorite things about Huxley?"
"Huh ... well I don't actually know yet. But I can think about what I don't like about him. He chews up everything."
Seen by Haines Hall.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

"The thing I like most about being an architect is the creative license you get from stage to stage in realizing a project. It's nice saying something started in your mind and is manifested in something physical."
"What made you want to pursue architecture?"
"It was a combo of liking to draw and building things. Also my dad worked around the house and built a lot of things. He wasn't an engineer or architect, but he had that mindset."
"What is something you've designed that you're most proud of?"
"As an undergrad I designed a library for this class I was taking, but in terms of actual real things I've designed ... probably my bedroom back home. It's very contemporary Japanese-y."
Seen in Perloff Hall.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

I saw this girl sitting in the shade with an adorable dog and decided she would make a good subject for Humans of Westwood. Started taking pics of her while making small talk.
"Are you a student here?"
"No, I came here with the band." (Deer Tick just performed.)
"Oh that's cool, do you tour with them often?"
"No, my partner is a part of the band and I'm just a guest singer ... we did a duet – my ... first one."
"Aw, that's really awesome."
"Yeah. Oh, my name is Vanessa Carlton."
"Wait. What. Like *sings intro to 'A Thousand Miles'* Vanessa Carlton?!"
"Haha, yeah."
Seen in Bruin Plaza.

(Erin Ng/Daily Bruin)

Erin Ng