Editorial: USAC must mend bylaws to prevent future conflicts of interest

While most students were away from campus for the summer, Undergraduate Students Association Council members voted toalmost double their own stipends.

The move elicited the criticism of many students, including this board. With classes back in session today, it’s time for USAC to mend some fences.

USAC must re-establish trust with the student body by amending its bylaws to prevent future student governments from raising pay for incumbent members.

To be clear, it’s too late to reverse the pay raise for this council. The Student Organizations Operational Fund, from which stipends are drawn, is already open for applications.

But on top of being a clear conflict of interest, the council’s decision to institute pay raises for sitting members was a debacle that eroded the confidence many students have in their government.

A bylaw amendment would sidestep future political fiascos like the events of this summer.

At the time, several council members derided the politicization of the pay increase. USAC President John Joanino said some members were using the issue as a “political bargaining chip.”

We agree with the proposition that politics should not factor into a conversation that is fundamentally about access to government positions. That’s why a bylaw change is necessary.

The political problem is compounded by the fact that many council members appoint members of their slates – USAC’s form of political parties – and one-time running mates to stipended positions.

The fact that council members have the power to dock or raise pay for people with whom they are politically affiliated is again a conflict of interest – tantamount to the problem that arises when they are able to increase their own pay.

On the other hand, changing the pay scale for positions that haven’t yet been filled allows council members to focus on issues of access without worrying about their personal involvement.

Aside from the potentially political nature of a self-directed stipend increase, the conflict of interest is obvious.

While the council members may have pure motives, it is nonetheless a breach of ethics for them to route their constituents’ money, over which they have sole discretion, into their own bank accounts.

With students back on campus, the council should draft an amendment to its bylaws, discuss the changes with students and move forward with a policy change that safeguards against future basic conflicts of interest.