UC files amicus brief supporting affirmative action in Michigan case

By Daily Bruin

The University of California submitted a “friend of the court” brief to the Supreme Court Friday to reiterate its support for affirmative action, or the consideration of race in university admission policies.

UC officials submitted the statement, called an amicus curiae brief, in regards to Schuette vs. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action, a case that will decide the fate of Michigan’s affirmative action ban. Parties not directly involved in a case can submit amicus curiae briefs to provide information relating to that case.

The University wrote the brief to stand in solidarity with the University of Michigan, which cannot consider race in its admissions because of state law.

The UC has said it needs affirmative action to enroll a more diverse student body. University officials have also said that its numbers of black and American Indian students have decreased significantly since California voters passed Proposition 209, which bans affirmative action in public universities, more than 16 years ago.

“We feel it is incumbent upon us to inform the Court, and the nation, about our ceaseless efforts to enroll a student body that is reflective of our diverse citizenry,” said UC President Mark Yudof in a press statement Friday.

The University had also submitted a similar amicus curiae brief supporting the consideration of race in another Supreme Court case concerning affirmative action, Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin. The case was sent back to the lower court, since the lower court had not sufficiently analyzed the University of Texas’ affirmative action policy before making its decision.

Compiled by Kristen Taketa, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin