UCLA School of Law receives $5.5 million donation to support Williams Institute

By Erin Donnelly

UCLA School of Law received a $5.5 million donation to sustain the Williams Institute for the next 10 years, according to a UCLA statement released Tuesday.

The donation is businessman and philanthropist Charles R. Williams’s most recent contribution to the institute that conducts law and public policy research on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. In 2001, Williams donated $2.5 million to the Williams Institute – the first academic program in the nation focused on researching LGBT legal and policy issues, according to the statement. He has donated $15 million to the program so far.

“(Williams) continues to play a transformative role in helping the Williams Institute expand knowledge at the intersection of sexual orientation and gender identity law and policy,” said Rachel F. Moran, dean of UCLA School of Law, in the statement.

In addition to their research, the Williams Institute’s 20 members provide legal briefs and policy analysis, as well as judicial trainings to inform judges about legal issues concerning the LGBT community, according to the statement.

Compiled by Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.

Erin Donnelly