Senior Standouts: Ryan Hollingshead

“I think Ryan’s a really hardworking, honest individual, and he was a great captain for us this year. He set the bar really high for us and really he was a strong leader on our team that everyone looked up to, and he leaves a gap next year that we’re going to have to fill on and off the field.” – Teammate Joe Sofia

By Kevin Bowman

June 10, 2013 12:00 a.m.

Ryan Hollingshead’s success on the field was matched by his success in the classroom.

For his sophomore, junior and senior seasons, he was named to both the All-Pac-12 team, as well as the Pac-12 All-Academic team, earning first team in each in his final season.

On top of that, UCLA’s team captain was also named the Pac-12 Player of the Year after scoring a team-high seven goals and assisting on eight more.

Hollingshead received national recognition for his success as well, earning NSCAA second team All-American honors as a senior.

UCLA men’s soccer experienced a wealth of success with Hollingshead playing for the team.

In Hollingshead’s four years, the Bruins won three Pac-12 titles, including one this past season.

His abilities were on full display his senior year, as he had to step into a leading role after the departure of midfielder Kelyn Rowe and forward Chandler Hoffman, who were both top picks in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft.

Hollingshead himself was picked in the second round of the MLS SuperDraft by FC Dallas, but elected to help his brother build a church instead of turning pro immediately. His future in the MLS is still uncertain.

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus