Monday, May 6, 2024

Farmer’s market community shares advice to graduating class

By Lawrence Han

June 10, 2013 12:00 a.m.

Every Thursday afternoon, Broxton Avenue becomes a hotbed of bustling activity, as merchants and farmers set up shop for the weekly Westwood Village Farmer’s Market. From farm-raised fruits and vegetables to handcrafted jewelry, the market – established in 1994 – offers a wide variety of goods that attracts both regular visitors and casual passerby.

The market is not, however, simply an alternative to the local grocery store. It is a pillar of the community, bringing together the people of Westwood with its organic, fresh produce and unusual crafts and clothing.

As is expected of a city located in one of the most demographically varied regions of the country, Westwood is a city filled with people of different and colorful backgrounds – and they each have a different story to tell.

And in light of the approaching 2013 UCLA graduation, many of these people at the market had words of advice to share with the graduating class.

web.ns.6.10.farmersmarket.picB

Sue Savage, a market vendor, has been making a living by selling handmade jewelry, necklaces and dream catchers at the market for two years – even after earning two college degrees.

She sat behind her modest fold-up table, which shimmers slightly from the reflection of light off the multicolored stone necklaces lying in neat rows, proudly displaying the years of dedication that went into her craft.

“I don’t fit into a 9-to-5 job. I’m an artist,” Savage said. “I’d rather live like a gypsy (and) make less money.”

Savage said she had discovered she was 40 percent American Indian 20 years ago, a fact that her family hid from her.

After this discovery of her heritage, Savage decided to live a life of cultural exploration and freedom – a lifestyle she recommends for those not interested in accumulating great wealth. She earns a living by selling her artwork, which is inspired by her American Indian ancestry, she said.

“I’ve done about 400 powwows, but they got so expensive and hard to do, so I decided to try (working at) the farmer’s market,” Savage said. “And I’m happy here.”

web.ns.farmersmarket.picC

Not all of the market’s visitors are at the market to buy or sell.

Kathy Marshall, who graduated from UCLA in 1972, wandered down Broxton Avenue with her floral dress billowing behind her in the breeze, browsing the stands until it was time for her haircut appointment.

As she browsed, she ruminated on her own experiences as a Bruin and how UCLA and Westwood have changed over the years.

“They didn’t have farmer’s markets back then,” Marshall said. “We were all too busy protesting.”

Over time, however, the attitudes of succeeding generations gradually began to change as students and graduates became more focused on their careers, she said.

“We were in Neverland when we (graduated),” Marshall said. “It wasn’t until the next generation of kids came that they became more serious and businesslike.”

All of Marshall’s children have been relatively successful – one of her sons started his own company, another has won five Emmy awards with NBC, and her youngest daughter is a former writer for Charlie Rose.

The qualities underlying their successes are determination and the ability to take advantage of today’s global networking opportunities, she said.

“You live in a world of instant communication, you’re citizens of the world,” Marshall said. “Line yourself up with smart people and go create something.”

web.ns.farmersmarket.picD

Gnawing on a cob of corn while he sat on the curb, Shaun Lee was at the market on his lunch break to enjoy the warm summer afternoon. For Lee, the market is a much-needed change of pace from the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where he works as a researcher.

“I like dirty, grimy, street-side flair,” Lee said. “You get a better sense of the city and culture.”

Lee, who graduated from UCLA in 2005, said he is in the midst of expanding his career, currently finishing his graduate studies in public health at UCLA in addition to his work. Before he got a job, however, he traveled around the world, an activity he said all graduates should do as soon as possible. Lee had chosen to travel to Asia and South America.

“Go see the world,” Lee said. “Once you’re botched down by work and obligations, it’s not going to be as easy.”

web.ns.farmersmarket.picE

At age 73, Abraham Lazarion looks young for his age. This could possibly be attributed to his values – hard work and a healthy diet.

Dressed in a bright yellow button-up and brown slacks, Lazarion was at the market with his two brothers, the three of them enjoying their Thursday afternoon by roaming the street of Broxton Avenue and evaluating the quality of the produce.

Arriving in America from Iran in 1959, Lazarion has worked a wide range of odd jobs – acting as a representative for a lightbulb manufacturing company, owning a liquor store and teaching. Speaking through experience, he offers his own advice for the graduating class of 2013: work for yourself.

“In the future, you’re going to have to depend on yourself, not others,” Lazarion said.

Lazarion also stressed the importance of maintaining good relations with family, marrying and having children.

“Getting married, having children … these are things every human should do in life,” Lazarion said.

Lawrence Han