Judge enters not guilty plea for Patrick Harran

By Daily Bruin

A Los Angeles Superior Court judge entered a not guilty plea today for UCLA chemistry professor Patrick Harran, who is charged with four felony counts in connection with the death of a UCLA researcher in a 2008 lab fire.

The felony counts included a new charge involving body protection for employees whose work exposes their body to hazardous materials.

The added charge was a technicality that will not change the amount of prison time Harran could face if convicted, which is up to four and a half years, said Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles District Attorney.

The judge entered the plea over an objection from the defense that Harran can file a motion to dismiss the four charges on the grounds that the charges are false and that there was insufficient evidence brought against him, said Daniel Prince, one of his lawyers.

Almost two years ago, Harran and the UC Board of Regents were charged with three felony counts each of willfully violating occupational safety and health standards after a chemical ignited the sweater of research assistant Sheharbano “Sheri” Sangji.

Charges against the regents were dropped as part of a July plea deal, in which the regents accepted responsibility for the conditions under which the laboratory was operated.

After Harran’s November preliminary hearing, where it is determined if there is enough evidence for Harran’s case to go to trial, the District Attorney added the fourth charge for clarification.

In April, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge denied the defense’s motion to dismiss the case.

Harran’s next appearance will be at a status conference in June, where lawyers from both sides will inform the judge of the case’s progress and discuss setting a trial date within 90 days of the conference, Prince said.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin contributor.

Daily Bruin