Gymnastics falls short in NCAA championships, taking fourth

By Zachary Lemos

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

For just a moment, before forcing a smile to her face and throwing her hands in the air, senior Vanessa Zamarripa froze. On hands and knees, head down, she stared into the blue landing mat, trying to comprehend what had happened.

After scoring perfect 10s on vault multiple times this season, she had fallen during her last team competition as a Bruin.

With that, UCLA’s performance at the NCAA gymnastics championships was over. The Bruins finished fourth while the top-seeded Florida Gators came away with their first-ever gymnastics title, despite seeing two of their athletes fall in the opening event.

These unexpected errors meant that, for a good part of the competition, the Bruins appeared to have a real shot at winning a competition some didn’t expect to even see them in.

“I say it over and over and over again: this is the little team that could,” said coach Valorie Kondos-Field.

UCLA led through the first two rounds, and even after three rounds of the Super Six competition, only half a point separated first-place Alabama from last-place Georgia.

But by the time Zamarippa stood ready for her last event, Florida and Alabama had made it clear that the Southeastern Conference would claim the top two spots and the other schools would be left to fight for third through sixth.

Even if Zamarippa had closed the night with her 10th career perfect 10, UCLA would only have tied with Alabama for third – and still would’ve been almost three-tenths of a point away from beating Florida for the title.

UCLA put up a team score of 197.100, but it wasn’t enough to overcome Florida’s 197.575, which was the second-highest team score in NCAA finals history. The Gators also set a new record in NCAA championships floor competition by posting a 49.725.

With the title out of reach, the Bruins took time to look back at how far they’ve come in an injury-laden season.

“My very first feeling is disappointment but rationally, it’s a success,” senior Lichelle Wong said. “It’s a success that we’re here and that we got to experience this in Pauley Pavilion with all of our fans. And being able to be in the Super Six, that’s just amazing.”

After having to fight off Utah to even make it past yesterday’s semifinal, Kondos-Field said she was pleased to see her team perform like it did today.

“I actually feel really good, the fact that we were even in it at all is just remarkable,” Valorie Kondos-Field said. “Emotionally, physically, mentally, we are spent. We left it all on the floor.”

The day’s high emotions were visible on Zamarripa’s face, who was still teary as she faced the throng of reporters at the night’s finish. Faced with disappointment in her final meet as a Bruin, the senior tried to keep things in perspective.

“I mean, it could’ve been worse. We could’ve not been here today,” she said. “Life isn’t about sticking your vault or doing floor routines. Take what you learned in gymnastics and carry it on to later in your life.”

Email Lemos at [email protected].

Correction: Saturday’s vault competition was Zamarripa’s last event during team competition.

Zachary Lemos