UCLA provides resources for smokers as tobacco ban nears

Editor's Note

This story is part of the Daily Bruin’s ongoing coverage of UCLA’s tobacco ban, which is set to go into effect on Monday.

By

With the implementation of UCLA’s tobacco-free policy right around the corner, the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center is increasing and promoting on-campus resources for those trying to quit smoking.

The UCLA tobacco ban will go into effect on Monday, which is also Earth Day, and will ban the use of all tobacco products on campus.

The ban aligns with UCLA’s Healthy Campus Initiative, which aims to promote physical, emotional and environmental wellness on campus. University of California President Mark Yudof recommended the ban to UC campuses last year and Chancellor Gene Block officially announced UCLA’s tobacco-free policy last October.

In response to the soon-to-be-implemented ban, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s Tobacco Control and Prevention Program has started to give free two-week nicotine replacement starter kits to UCLA’s Student Health and Wellness Center and Occupational Health Facility for students who wish to quit smoking, said Linda Sarna, chair of UCLA’s Tobacco-Free Steering Committee and professor in the UCLA School of Nursing.

The patches have been available at the Ashe Center since early January, Sarna said.

Kevin Kim, a first-year physics student and smoker for two years, said he has been trying to quit for seven months. He said he plans to use the free nicotine starter kits from the student health center once the tobacco ban goes in effect.

Students who wish to quit smoking can also make appointments with a clinician at the Ashe Center.

Other changes mostly consist of making students, faculty and staff more aware of on-campus services that relate to the tobacco-free policy.

Ash trays on campus are now decorated with an “Ashe Can Help You” sign that bears the name of a website for students to learn more about how to quit smoking, said Ashe Center executive director Dr. David Baron, who writes a column for the Daily Bruin.

According to the Ashe Center’s website, students under the UC Student Health Insurance Plan receive a 40 percent discount off Anthem’s Living Free, an online training program that gives coaching and information on how to quit.

Prescription medications for quitting are also available at the Ashe Center, along with office visits and a 24/7 nurse hotline to discuss any health concerns when the center is closed.

Students have had mixed reactions about the smoking ban.

Diana Yugay, a graduate student in chemistry who has been smoking for eight years, said she would consider using the services if she has a difficult time quitting on her own.

She said she thinks the support from the student health center is helpful.

“I’m glad the campus is banning smoking. It’s the right thing to do,” Yugay said.

She added that she thinks it is not fair for others that do not smoke to be exposed to secondhand smoke.

Heedo Jung, a second-year economics student, said he will leave campus to smoke when the ban goes in effect.

“I understand the health risks, but I still want to (smoke),” Jung said. “Obviously I can’t smoke on campus, but I can’t quit.” Jung thinks he will suffer from stress during midterms and finals if he cannot smoke. He doesn’t think the resources in the student health center will be successful because most smokers will seek out another place to smoke instead, he said.

Sarna said she hopes the initiation of the ban will prove to be helpful.

“The overall purpose of the (tobacco) ban is to save lives,” Sarna said.

Contributing reports by Anaika Miller, Bruin contributor.