Women’s water polo gears up for last home game, USC rematch

As senior attacker Gisselle Naranjo and the women’s water polo team prepare to face the top-ranked Trojans this weekend in their last home game, they’re focusing on how to counter USC’s defensive style. The team tailored their training sessions to practice good releases and skills like shooting.

By Sari Zureiqat

Treading water may be integral to water polo, but the UCLA women are using this week’s practices to send a strong “don’t tread on me” message to USC.

The team, in preparation for Friday’s game, tailored this week’s practices to the goal of beating the No. 1 Trojans in the last conference game of the season.

Additionally, the multiple victories in three non-conference games last weekend helped the team demonstrate its strengths – strengths it hopes to capitalize on in the upcoming weeks.

“We did well (last weekend). We created a lot of opportunities, we had really good energy,” said coach Brandon Brooks. “I thought we were moving, we were talking. That was good.”

Still, with their last home game of 2013 against USC, the team isn’t letting the victories of the weekend distract from the importance of doing well in this final conference game.

“I mean (last weekend) was good, we got the W, but we’ve got to get back to work. Those games were pretty challenging, but we’ve got a bigger one,” said senior attacker Gisselle Naranjo.

In getting back to work, the players have focused this week on becoming more familiar with the other team’s defense, a strategy that worked against Loyola Marymount, a game UCLA won 12-5.

“They run two specific defenses that we’ve got to get down this week. And they’re going to press us really hard, which a lot of teams don’t, so you’ve got to be ready to release. And we did a lot of that in practice today, we came out strong,” said junior attacker Victoria Kent.

In addition to good releases – necessary to move the ball in a way that avoids fouls – and skills like shooting, the players have also brought confidence to the table, knowing that improving on the last USC game, an 11-10 loss, is possible.

“They’re going to press us hard, they’re going to come in strong,” Naranjo said. “They beat us last time, but only by one, so I know they’re going to be a little bit scared.”

After a week of difficult practices, the women are ultimately ready to succeed in the last conference game before the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament.

“I’m excited, it’s my senior night, my last home game,” Naranjo said. “We’re going to win. And if not, we’re going to fight until it’s over.”

Sari Zureiqat