Win against USC will be crucial to volleyball’s momentum for playoffs

Men’s volleyball

USC
Today, 7:30 p.m.
Pauley Pavilion Pac-12 Network

By Young Rae Kim

The men’s volleyball team is gaining momentum at exactly the right time.

After struggling with consistency and focus earlier in the season, the Bruins have found their rhythm just as the regular season comes to an end and the playoffs approach. In its last two games, UCLA not only defeated two top-ranked schools, BYU and Pepperdine, but swept them.

UCLA will take on crosstown rival USC tonight in Pauley Pavilion. Although the Bruins have already clinched the fourth-place playoff seed and the Trojans are well out of the playoffs, bragging rights are at stake in this match.

“No matter what anyone’s record is, or where we’re at or where they’re at in the season, I think it’s going to be a great match. They’re going to play incredibly hard with great competitive energy,” said coach John Speraw. “You’re going to see a battle. We have total respect for that team.”

In their last meeting, the Bruins swept the Trojans at their house. This time, USC will be looking to end its season on a high note by doing the same in Pauley Pavilion. The Bruins, meanwhile, said they are looking forward to defending their home court in front of their fans.

“It’s always fun to play ’SC at home. Nothing can really beat that. We’re all fired up and ready to go,” said junior outside hitter Robart Page.

Having played three straight games in Pauley Pavilion, the Bruins are feeling comfortable at home. After Wednesday’s win over Pepperdine, they locked the fourth-place playoff seed, ensuring that they gain home court in the first round, an advantage that could become an important factor in the team’s success. But for now, the Bruins are focused on earning the crucial confidence that will come from a rivalry win.

“It’s a really big game even though (USC is) already out of the playoffs,” said junior outside hitter Gonzalo Quiroga. “It’s going to be really important for us to get that momentum for the playoffs.”

Young Rae Kim