Felony suspect pleads not guilty, could face life in prison

By Sonali Kohli

Updated at 3:51 p.m.

The 22-year-old man arrested after allegedly trying to sexually assault a UCLA student pleaded not guilty Monday to one count of assault with intent to commit rape during the commission of a residential burglary. He is being held on $1 million bail and could face life in prison if convicted.

UCPD

Suspect Evan Ryan Baldwin, who is not a UCLA student, allegedly entered the student’s apartment at 403 Landfair Ave. about 2:20 p.m. on Thursday and attempted to sexually assault her, university police said. This incident is classified as a first-degree burglary, which occurs when a suspect enters an inhabited place intending to commit a crime.

Baldwin and the student did not know each other, said UCPD detective Selby Arsena.

Baldwin allegedly ran out of the student’s apartment after she screamed, police said. The student’s roommate called police immediately, and police arrested Baldwin near the intersection of Veteran and Weyburn avenues about two minutes later, police said. No one was injured.

There are no signs of forced entry on either the door to the building or to the apartment, and it is unclear how the suspect could have gained access to either, Arsena said.

A key is required to enter the apartment building. Residents said the garage door, which opens onto Landfair Avenue, is sometimes open but usually remains closed.

“Most likely the door (to the apartment) was unlocked,” Arsena said. “I don’t know if he was able to get in through other means.”

Arsena declined to give further details regarding the alleged assault, including whether there was a weapon and where in the apartment it happened, because police are still investigating, he said.

Baldwin pleaded not guilty in his arraignment on Monday, said district attorney spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons. Baldwin is currently being held at the North County Correctional Facility in Castaic, about 30 miles north of Westwood. His next court date is March 18 at the Airport Courthouse on La Cienega Boulevard, where a date will be set for a preliminary hearing.

Contributing reports from Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.

Sonali Kohli