Participants take break from dancing to eat

By Daily Bruin

Seven hours into Dance Marathon, dancers started lining up inside the first floor of Ackerman Union to get their second meal of the event.

The Pediatric AIDS Coalition will provide five meals throughout the 26 hours – the committee plans to serve every meal in four shifts to about 950 people, said Gigi Lin, a third-year psychobiology student.

A committee of nine staff members asks restaurants in Westwood and around the nation for sponsorship and donations, which helps them decide which food to serve during Dance Marathon, said Emily Crowley, director of corporate relations for the coalition and a fourth-year global studies student, as she helped to move the line along.

Many of the participants stood at high tables in the A level of Ackerman, eating and conversing with each other – while still standing.

“I’ve done this twice before, and with the food and moralers helping us out, we are ready to go back,” said third-year geography student Job Sy, as he prepared to leave the food court before returning to the dance floor.

To cater to the dancers’ needs, vegetarian options are also available at each meal.

In addition to the lunch earlier Saturday and the dinner Saturday night, the dancers will also receive midnight snacks, a continental breakfast and a hot breakfast throughout the event.

Compiled by Jerry Zhao, Bruin contributor.

Daily Bruin