UCLA track and field splits for meets

DON KIRBY ELITE INVITATIONAL

HUSKY CLASSIC
All weekend
No TV info

By Matthew Quach

The UCLA track and field team will split into two groups and head off to two different meets this weekend.

The distance runners will race in Seattle for the Husky Classic, while the rest of the team will head to the Don Kirby Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M.

The Bruins are not worried about personal records or placing high in this weekend’s races – rather they look forward to facing the strongest possible competition in order to build on the experience. In particular, the distance group is leaving the rest of the team in order to face the stronger distance competitors at the University of Washington’s Husky Classic.

“The distance guys are getting sharper, all have raced at least once,” said distance coach Forest Braden. “They all look ready to break some personal records.”

Redshirt senior David McDonald will race at Seattle in the 5000m, along with redshirt sophomore Dustin Fay, junior Daniel Herrera and redshirt freshman Lane Werley. McDonald said that he looks forward to the challenging Seattle races.

“We want to show people how we can take all of our successes from the past cross country season and bring it over to track,” McDonald said.

Senior Turquoise Thompson will participate in the Husky Invitational as well, competing in the 800m in order to increase her speed endurance for her 400m events. Thompson looks to improve her time of 2:12.97 from the Washington Invitational.

“Hopefully I can have the same kind of race I had the last weekend, and have more competition to push me to get the time I want,” Thompson said. “I’m looking at 2:10.”

Of the group going to Albuquerque, N.M., Coach Mike Maynard said he expects sophomore Kylie Price to make a statement in the 200m, 60m, and the long jump.

“Price will excel in both the 200m and the long jump,” Maynard said. “And not to mention she also is an All-American.”

Redshirt freshman Nicholas Scarvelis said he has hopes for a strong turnout in the shot put in his first track meet competing officially for the Bruins.

“I have been gaining strength from the past year, and am looking forward to competing,” Scarvelis said. “My teammates (junior) Julian (Wruck), (sophomore) Derek (Eager), (junior) Alec (Faldermeyer), and (junior) Matt (Kosecki) have all been at high level competitions like the Junior National championships, and Julian’s been at the Olympic Trials, so it’s amazing that I’m one of them now.”

Wruck, Eager, Faldermeyer and Kosecki have also all seen NCAA championship competition, and Maynard said he thinks Scarvelis can look forward to NCAA competition as well.

“He’s looking good for the shot, and I see NCAA championships in his career,” Maynard said. “He’s certainly capable of doing that and qualifying.”

Email Quach @ [email protected].

Matthew Quach

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999