New diversity initiative follows previously proposed GE requirement

Principles of community initiative

- Faculty dinner series
- Intergroup dialogue two-credit course
- Freshman workshop series
- Student leadership development
- Staff development programs
- UCLA Diversity Symposium

SOURCE: Janina Montero, vice chancellor for student affairs. Compiled by Joy Jacobson, Bruin contributor.

By Joy Jacobson

The UCLA Office of Student Affairs is in the process of implementing programs related to diversity issues following a diversity-related General Education requirement that failed to pass last spring.

Janina Montero, vice chancellor for student affairs, and a committee of administrative staff recently introduced the Principles of Community Initiative, six new programs that aim to provide spaces for dialogue and education about diversity through dinners, workshops, classes and events, Montero said.

Last year, the College of Letters and Science faculty voted down the proposed “Community and Conflict in the Modern World” General Education requirement, which would have required students to take one of the 10 GE courses about conflicts and collaboration that can emerge through differences in communities. The proposal had been in the works since 2010.

Montero said though the initiative was a result of the Community and Conflict in the Modern World GE proposal failure, some of the planning for the programs had been going on for some time.

“The chancellor asked me to see if there was a way I could programmatically bring about the intentions of the failed GE requirement proposal in a different way,” Montero said.

A majority of the new programs outlined in the initiative focus on dorm life, including a freshman workshop series and student dinners with Faculty in Residence.

Though organizers said they are going to select a limited number of students so they can fully engage with those in attendance, any student can express interest, Montero said. She added the first of the dinners was scheduled for last night.

Students have been involved in the creation of the new initiative since last year’s diversity-related requirement proposal failed to pass.

The initiative is being funded almost completely by the Office of Student Affairs, Montero said.

“We are hoping for and depending upon interest from student groups which would hopefully fund themselves when they got involved,” she said.

Hana Khan, a fourth-year geography and environmental studies student, said she and a few students were in meetings with the chancellor after the GE proposal failed, to discuss programs that could fulfill the same purpose.

Khan, who was also involved in drafting last year’s proposal, said she supports the new initiatives because they promote discussion and attract student interest.

But, she said she thinks there is still a distinctive need for a diversity-related GE requirement.

“With the GE requirement, we had wanted to reach students who were not exposed to these topics already and to get them to take classes,” she said.

As of now, there are no plans from the faculty to create a new proposal for a diversity-related requirement, said Kyle McJunkin, director of curriculum coordination and operations, in an email statement.

The initiative also aims to involve faculty and staff, with a staff development program to train and educate them, Montero said.

Antonio Sandoval, director of the community programs office who was involved in creating the initiative, said educating the faculty may also prove beneficial if another proposal for a diversity-related requirement comes along.

He said the passing of a new GE requirement would require a deeper-rooted relationship between students and faculty.

Some students, however, still said they do not see a need for a diversity-related GE requirement.

Rael Dellenbach, a fourth-year biochemistry student, said she thinks the diversity initiative is a good alternative.

“Many of the GE requirements were irrelevant to my major. I don’t think different course requirements would change anyone’s minds,” she said.

Montero said she thinks the incorporation of a diversity-related curriculum into the classroom is still a priority.

“We are looking for different ways we can address the issues,” she said.

“We cannot replace an academic requirement or an educational curriculum.”

Email Jacobson at [email protected]

Joy Jacobson