Monday, May 6, 2024

Restaurant review: Napa Valley Grille

As part of dineLA, Napa Valley Grille is offering a three-course menu which includes the mushroom agnolotti shown above.

Napa Valley Grille

1100 Glendon Ave. #100
Los Angeles, CA 90024

By Alicia Sontag

The restaurant is dimly lit, and Michael Bublé plays softly in the background as the waiter brings one dish from the set dineLA menu of the Napa Valley Grille. It’s a bright and colorful dish – purple sauce, bright citrus and green garnish framing the darker green of the artichoke.

DineLA Restaurant Week, a 12-day event that began last Monday and ends Friday, is designed to show off the different and delectable restaurants across Los Angeles. As participants in dineLA, Napa Valley Grille created a fixed three-course menu that shows off the restaurant’s distinctly flavorful Napa cuisine.

For starters, diners are offered a chopped kale salad, white bean and prosciutto soup, and oven-roasted artichoke. For the main course, there is the option of braised short rib, pan-seared salmon and mushroom agnolotti. And, for dessert, one can choose between an apple galette and butterscotch bread pudding. These dishes were mostly prepared with a combination of fresh-tasting herbs and fruity ingredients that one would generally find in a restaurant located in Napa.

The Napa flavors were reflected in all the dishes ordered. The first course of oven-roasted artichoke was covered in breadcrumbs and lay atop a purple berry sauce next to a slice of lemon. The artichoke was baked, the outer layers crispy and slightly overdone, but the heart was softer and more tender than the outer layers. There was a hint of garlic in the breadcrumbs, and the zesty flavor of the lemon complemented the sweeter, tangier sauce.

Next was the ravioli-like mushroom agnolotti. There were 12 dumplings stuffed with a mushroom puree, wrapped in house-made pasta, and swimming in a melted mascarpone sauce. Although the pasta was slightly underdone, the flavor was rich and hearty. The taste of the mushroom was subtle and did not overpower the dish, and the melted mascarpone added just the right salty butter tang. The strong flavors of the previous dishes didn’t complement the upcoming dessert, but the lighter courses did combine well with such a heavy dessert.

Dessert was the butterscotch bread pudding, topped with a lightly toasted house-made marshmallow. The caramelized sugar of the marshmallow contrasted with the rich, thicker bread pudding.

The dessert was topped with butterscotch chips that slowly melted across the rest of the dessert. There was a strong, buttery vanilla flavor in every bite. The bread pudding was very heavy.

Each course was delicious by itself, although the combination of all three didn’t mix as well as it could have. However, the Napa Valley Grille is the place to go for anyone who wants to splurge a little on a decadent meal.

The dishes are on the pricier side for a college student’s wallet, but dineLA brings a number of exquisite courses into a doable price near $35.

The waiters were pleasant and perceptive; they knew the menu very well. Potential diners should keep in mind that it’s not specifically for the college-aged crowd, but for the middle-aged group. For special nights out, however, it’s great, and it’s classy.

The restaurant really does capture the essence of the Napa Valley. The restaurant is modern, with chic Napa Valley decor.

Wine barrels are used as tables, and a painting of a vineyard at harvest stretches across the back wall. Warm bread is served with olive tapenade in the true Napa Valley style.

The Napa Valley Grille’s dineLA menu was delicious, although a little pricey. The ambiance of the grille is soothing and relaxing. For anyone willing to spend a little extra for an amazing meal, it’s a great place to try.

Email Sontag at [email protected].

Alicia Sontag