Gymnastics hopes to extend win streak over Arizona

daily bruin file photo
Senior Monique De La Torre made her season debut against Utah two weekends ago and scored a 9.825 in the vault, UCLA’s first rotation.

ARIZONA STATE

Today, 6 p.m. Tempe, Ariz. No TV info

By Michelle Epps

UCLA gymnastics has not lost to the Arizona State Sun Devils in the last 23 times the two teams have met.

With a 51-23 all-time record against Arizona State, UCLA is trying to continue its winning precedent tonight as the Bruins compete in their first meet on the road this season at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Ariz.

UCLA (2-0) had a bye last week. Its national ranking dropped from No. 1 to No. 4. The last time the Bruins competed, they had a decisive victory over then-No. 2 Utah, 197.425-195.300.

On the other hand, UCLA’s opponent, Arizona State, is coming off a tri-meet victory over San Jose State and Sacramento State with a score of 194.350.

UCLA is rested and ready to continue its strong start to the season. Currently, UCLA is ranked No. 1 on floor with a 49.513 average.

The Bruins are ranked second on uneven bars (49.288), 10th on balance beam (48.913) and 12th on vault (49.075).

UCLA is looking at this meet as an opportunity to mix up the lineup and give other athletes the opportunity to compete.

“We’ll hopefully be able to rotate some people in and see exactly how much depth we’ve got,” coach Valorie Kondos Field said of the Arizona State meet, after defeating Utah.

UCLA has had to tap into the depth of its team after several injuries have left the Bruins in need of fresh faces.

Junior Samantha Peszek and sophomore Ellette Craddock are out for the season with injuries.

In addition to Peszek and Craddock, freshmen Christine Peng-Peng Lee and Asi Peko are currently unable to compete for the Bruins.

Despite these injuries to its squad, UCLA has not suffered competition-wise as the Bruins head into the meet with the Sun Devils holding onto an undefeated record.

If the Bruins win tonight, they will extend their streak with their 12th straight regular-season win over Arizona.

Email Michelle Epps @ mepps.media.ucla.edu

Michelle Epps