Hate crime victim speaks about incident

Editor's Note

We have decided to run in this story the exact wording of the homophobic slur in this incident. Given the graphic nature of the slur, a group of editors had to decide whether or not it was appropriate for the student newspaper to repeat the slur and potentially perpetuate its use. The editorial decision was made to write the slur as it occurred in order to report accurately and thoroughly on the incident.

By Daily Bruin

A student who was threatened with an “anti-gay” slur by a man with a knife Friday said he believes he could have been targeted because of his sexual orientation.

The second-year student, who said he is bisexual and asked to remain anonymous for his safety, said he was drunk while walking back from a party at 1:30 a.m. Friday to his dorm room on the Hill.

A dark-colored four-door sedan drove up onto the curb on Gayley Avenue near Landfair Avenue and he stopped to avoid being hit. The passenger got out of the car and stood nearby while the driver walked over to the student while holding a knife. The student said he did not recognize either of the men.

The driver grabbed the student’s arm and held the knife up against his neck, pushing him against a brick wall, according to university police. The student said the man then leaned in and said, “Die, faggot, die.”

The man used the hand that was not holding the knife to rub the student’s hip, the student said.

The men then left in their car and fled south down Gayley Avenue. The student received a few minor cuts and some bruises from the man’s grip on his arm, he said.

“I thought I was going to be raped and killed,” the student said. “My only thought was to leave something behind so (police) knew to look for me, a shoe or something.”

“It all happened so fast,” he said.

The student said he did not try to run when he first saw the knife because the second man was standing close by and looked like he could easily overpower him.

He said he suspects the men might have guessed his sexual orientation based on how he looked and acted that night. He said he thought the incident was troubling regardless of his sexual orientation.

“Whether I am gay or not, it’s not the point,” he said.

Police do not have any leads in connection with last week’s incident, said UCPD Detective Selby Arsena, on Wednesday.

Without the car’s license plate number or a more specific description of the men, it is difficult for police to find them, Arsena said.

Friday’s incident and an attempted sexual assault on a UCLA student reported earlier this month both involved students walking home alone from parties while intoxicated, Arsena said.

Criminals might target the Westwood area because they know there is a high chance of students walking alone while they are intoxicated and vulnerable, he said.

Police suggest students remain aware of their surroundings and not walk alone at night.

In Friday’s incident, the man reportedly holding the knife was described as white, 26-27 years old, 5 feet 9 inches tall and 160-170 pounds. He had brown eyes and a shaved head and was wearing a grey hoodie and blue jeans at the time of the incident. Police plan to release a sketch of the man with the knife next week.

The second man was described as Hispanic, about 26-27 years old, 6 feet 4 inches tall, 300 pounds, with long, black, slicked-back hair. He was wearing baggy clothing at the time of the incident.

Later in the day on Friday, the student said he put on the same eye makeup he was wearing during the incident and went back to the place where he was attacked to try and move on.

“I was not going to be ashamed,” he said.

Anyone with information about the incident can contact UCPD at 310-825-1491 or leave an anonymous tip at 310-794-5824.

Compiled by Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin