Zakiya Bywaters earns No. 1 draft pick

BLAINE OHIGASHI/daily bruin senior staff
Zakiya Bywaters was taken first overall in the inaugural draft of the National Women’s Soccer League.

First Picks
Zakiya Bywaters is the most recent UCLA athlete to go first overall in a professional draft
  • Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor Jr. (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar), basketball
  • Bill Walton, basketball
  • Troy Aikman, football
  • Tahj Jakins, men’s soccer
  • Steve Shak, men’s soccer
  • Marvell Wynne, men’s soccer
  • Chance Meyers, men’s soccer
  • Gerrit Cole, baseball
  • Sydney Leroux, women’s soccer
  • Zakiya Bywaters, women’s soccer
SOURCE: uclabruins.com
Compiled by Emma Coghlan, Bruin Sports senior staff.

By Emma Coghlan

Zakiya Bywaters’ name is now alongside those of UCLA legends such as Bill Walton and Troy Aikman who have gone first overall in professional athletic drafts.

On Friday, Bywaters of UCLA soccer was selected first in the National Women’s Soccer League draft by the Chicago Red Stars, making her one of UCLA’s 10 elite first overall picks.

Not only was Bywaters the the first pick in 2013, she was the first ever in the NWSL, a new league that started in January after the Women’s Professional Soccer League went bankrupt last year.

“I’m honored and blessed to be a part of history … as the first ever player selected by the NWSL. It’s really humbling,” Bywaters said.

Bywaters’ final season at UCLA was marked by success, as she was the Pac-12 Player of the Year, but she also had to deal with several injuries. While she was not able to start every single game, she managed to be a major impact player coming off the bench, leading the Pac-12 in goals scored and points.

“I struggled with injuries that could have been career ending, but I made it and there’s room for me to grow. I haven’t even played my best soccer yet,” Bywaters said.

For Bywaters’ younger teammates, seeing someone they played with succeed so much gives them hope for the future even with the instability of professional women’s soccer leagues.

“She’s a perfect role model for us. … We all want to fulfill our dreams, and to see her out there doing that, she’s going to do so well and we’re so excited,” sophomore defender Abby Dahlkemper said.

After the WPS folded last year, the NWSL started up in January. While the prospect of starting in a new league is daunting, the chance to stay and play in the country is meaningful for Bywaters, who also looked into the option of playing overseas.

“It was a little wary in the beginning. … We weren’t sure if we’d go overseas or stay in the States, and I’m excited to stay and get that opportunity to be close to my family,” Bywaters said.

Bywaters’ support system at UCLA was a major part of getting her ready for the draft. The leader of that group was coach B.J. Snow – not just her head coach for the last two seasons, but a part of the UCLA coaching staff for several years beforehand. In addition, he worked with Bywaters in the national team system.

Snow said that working with a player for so long and then watching her get ready to move into the world of professional soccer was a poignant experience. Even more stirring, he said, was seeing her get picked first overall.

“The emotions get stirred when you talk to her about how awesome this is. … You think about all the things she went through; it brings up memories and emotions. The best thing I’ve seen is that she’s ready to continue to work, shes ready for that next jump,” Snow said.

In each of his first two years as UCLA’s head women’s soccer coach, Snow has seen one of his seniors picked first overall – Sydney Leroux went first overall in the 2012 WPS Draft – but he shied away from taking the credit.

“To have someone outside the program recognizing college soccer, it’s a tremendous thing,” Snow said. “It’s a credit to their parents and their coaches.”

While Bywaters’ individual accomplishments are numerous, she was quick to attribute her success to her coaches and teammates at UCLA.

“They really brought me in and had a lot of faith in me and they knew I’d be something great here; I appreciate all their support here,” Bywaters said.

“A lot of the success and without my team behind me, much of what I’ve gotten wouldn’t have happened.”

While her career at UCLA is over, those who remain here are intent upon watching what Bywaters accomplishes in the future.

“For me it’s exciting to see how excited Z was,” Snow said. “She’s had a tremendous career at UCLA, highlighted by an amazing senior season and to see her get the exposure that she’s gotten for the work she’s put in is a pleasure to watch.”

Emma Coghlan