UCLA Department of Urology receives $4.6 million donation from late UC regent

By Daily Bruin

The UCLA Department of Urology has received a $4.6 million donation from the estate of a late University of California Board of Regents member and his wife, UCLA announced Wednesday.

[Updated at 3:50 p.m.: The donation – the largest nonprofit donation in the department’s history – comes from Frank and Dorothy H. Clark and will support research at UCLA’s Clark Urology Centers, according to a UCLA press release, said Dr. Mark Litwin, chairman of theUCLA Urology Department.

“(The donation) allows us to completely elevate the level at which we’re operating,” he said.

Frank Clark, a UCLA alumnus, was highly respected friend and adviser to the urology department, particularly in the pediatric department, Litwin said.]

He played a major part in the founding of the Clark-Morrison Pediatric Urology Center at UCLA, according to the press release. He died at the age of 90 in 2008, while Dorothy Clark died in 2011.

[Updated at 3:50 p.m.: Before Frank Clark died, he arranged to have their estate donated toUCLA’s urology department after his wife died, because he wanted to make sure his favorite charity was taken care of, Litwin said.

The department expects to receive a similar-sized donation from the couple’s estate next year, he said.]

Compiled by Zoey Freedman, Bruin contributor.

Daily Bruin