Monday, May 25

Yes on Proposition 39

The editorial board is composed of multiple Daily Bruin staff members and is dedicated to publishing informed opinions on issues relevant to students. The board serves as the official voice of the paper and is separate from the newsroom.

Past the partisan bickering and campaign half-truths of the 2012 election season, it is integral that students take the initiative to educate themselves about the issues at stake on the November ballot.

The Daily Bruin editorial board, which represents the voice of the entire newspaper, has researched the measures and candidates that students will be voting on, and endorsed the ones we think do the most to support the UCLA community. We encourage students to use our endorsements as a starting point for conducting their own research, forming their own educated opinions and casting an informed vote come Election Day.

See who the board endorsed:

The people

The education propositions

The rest of the propositions

We urge voters to say “yes” to Proposition 39, a two-tiered measure, because it would increase revenue and employment opportunities in California.

Currently, corporate income taxes are based on the size of the company payroll or how much property they own in California, which incentivizes them to keep their payrolls and business small within the state.

Proposition 39 would close that loophole and ensure corporations pay taxes based on how much business they hold in California.

This would bring in a billion extra dollars for the state every year, half of which would go toward alternative-energy projects and jobs over the next five years.

The effects of the proposition, although wide in scope, will hit close to home for some students. For students in UCLA’s environmental science program, this proposition would give them more opportunities for work upon graduation.

In a time with so many graduates still hunting for work, this board endorses Proposition 39 for the sake of the state and the future of California’s graduates.