Men’s water polo sets sights on championship title in the fall

Rising senior utility Josh Samuels, one of the star players on the men’s water polo team, hopes to claim a national title in the coming season.

MEN'S WATER POLO SEASON PREVIEW: KEY RETURNERS

Josh Samuels
Rising senior
Samuels led the team in goals with 49 last year and promises to be a leader and offensive standout yet again when the Bruins start up in the fall.

Matt Rapacz
Rising redshirt senior
With their struggles in field defense, the Bruins will look to their star goalkeeper. Rapacz started 25 of the team's 29 games last year.

July 8, 2012 9:55 a.m.

Although UCLA men’s water polo has been a powerhouse for years, they haven’t been able to bring home the ultimate prize ““ a national championship ““ since 2004.

While the team consistently reached the top of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation standings throughout the 2011 season, it fell 7-4 in the championship match against rival USC.

This year, the Bruins lose only three players from last season ““ attacker and team captain Cullen Hennessy, center Brett Hays and goalkeeper Andrew Mesesan.

While they lose their leader in Hennessy, several rising seniors have the ability to be the emotional and athletic torchbearer for the Bruins.

The losses should not put a damper on UCLA’s chances ““ some of the most vital pieces of the squad will be back this season.

Rising redshirt senior Matt Rapacz, who was the MVP of last year’s MPSF tournament and started 25 of the team’s 29 games last season, will be back between the posts this season.

While Rapacz was strong all season long, the team lacked in defense from the field, making his job difficult.

Also returning is rising senior utility Josh Samuels, who was a star for the Bruins last season, leading the team with 49 goals.

Samuels was a finalist for the Peter J. Cutino award, the San Francisco Olympic Club’s honor for the top college water polo player.

This season will be the last chance for Rapacz and Samuels to capture a national title, as well as three other members of the team ““ rising senior attackers Bret Lathrope and Griffin White, along with rising senior utility Luka Bokavsek.

In addition to the experienced seniors, onlookers eagerly await the sophomore season for attacker Paul Reynolds.

In 2011, his debut season, he ranked third on the team in goals scored. He was able to come through in key moments for the Bruins, showing maturity even as the youngest player in the pool.

In order to make another run at the title game, UCLA will have to make sure the one part of its game that lagged last year ““ defense from the field ““ is top-notch in order to protect itself from other strong MPSF teams. The team cannot leave Rapacz alone to defend the goal.

This year’s seniors will mark the first class of players that coach Adam Wright, who took over the head coaching job in 2009, will have worked with from freshman to senior year.

After losses to USC in title games in 2009 and 2011, it’s the group’s last chance to do what it has been working toward for years ““ bringing a national title home to Westwood.

Compiled by Emma Coghlan, Bruin Sports senior staff.