USA water polo beats Hungary

Men’s water polo

USA 9
Hungary 5

Behind the Score:

2
Number of times USA has beaten Hungary in a row

3
Goals scored by USA captain Tony Azevedo

58
Days till the team’s first game at the Olympics

By Andrew Erickson

June 1, 2012 1:26 a.m.

After defeating the Hungarian National Team for the first time in nearly twelve years on Sunday, the United States Men’s National Water Polo Team once again stunned the three-time defending gold medalists at Spieker Aquatics Center on Thursday night.

Led by three goals from team captain Tony Azevedo, the team was able to utilize its momentum from a 12-9 victory last weekend at Newport Harbor High School en route to a dominating 9-5 win.

The United States distributed the ball and shot effectively in power play situations, jumping to a 3-0 lead during the first quarter and never letting go.

“(The win) says we’re in a good place right now, but Hungary tends to peak pretty well at the Olympic Games,” Team USA coach Terry Schroeder said. “Most of their guys have been playing professional water polo and they just kind of got together, so their pieces aren’t working quite as well as ours are right now.”

In a rematch of the gold medal game from 2008’s Beijing Olympics, the United States responded well to an incredibly physical Hungarian team, employing a number of quick passes and tap-ins to keep the Hungarian defense off balance.

Coming so close to the gold medal in 2008 motivated the Americans, who now feel a special sense of pride whenever they face the team that kept them from the top of the podium.

“It’s good to send Hungary home knowing we’re a team to mess with,” goalkeeper Merrill Moses said. “Ever since that gold medal game, I’ve been dying to play them. Every chance we get to play them, we’re going to stuff it to them.”

The Americans attribute their victory mainly to strong team chemistry, which they have developed through months of training together.

Many of the team’s players came home from their professional club teams in Europe in pursuit of the nation’s first men’s water polo gold medal since the 1904 Olympics.

“In the last three years, it’s been hit and miss,” Schroeder said. “We’ve been home for three or four weeks, then we go to World Championships or the World Cup and the pieces aren’t all working, but it’s starting to come together and you can sort of see it and feel it.”

Also in the water for the United States was Adam Wright, UCLA’s men’s water polo coach and a three-time Olympian come July. The 35- year-old attacker was excited to once again play in a familiar pool, even though he usually sees it from the deck.

“It was a good night, I’m glad we sold out before the contest,” Wright said. “Of course it’s always nice to come back and play in front of our guys, who always critique my game, so that’ll be interesting. I love the opportunity to play here at UCLA, my alma mater.”

Having played professionally for Bissolati Cremona in Italy, Wright understands the difference between European club water polo and American club water polo. It is a disparity that has allowed countries like Italy, Serbia and Russia to be powerhouses for decades while the United States has medaled only once in the past 20 years.

“It’s a huge difference,” Wright said. “It’s professional versus non-professional. It’s kids making a decision to become a water polo player at a young age.”

“They’re taking the top young kids and putting them at the highest level immediately.”

It was a series of American players who compete professionally in Europe, including Wright, Azevedo and defender Jeff Powers, that led the United States to the silver medal in 2008.

While the confidence that comes with defeating the world’s best team is undeniable, the team is certainly not ready to celebrate with the London Games now less than two months away.

“You’ve got to put everything in perspective,” Moses said. “These are just training games.”

“In the Olympics, everything’s going to be that much stronger, quicker, faster, but this is a good marker for us. By no means are we satisfied with this win.”

Andrew Erickson | Editor in chief