Thursday, May 2, 2024

UCLA College faculty rejects diversity-related general education requirement

A proposed diversity-related general education requirement was voted down by the UCLA College faculty today.

The College of Letters and Science faculty rejected the proposed change by a 224-175 vote. The College Faculty Executive Committee, a governing body of the College faculty, announced the results at a meeting this afternoon.

The requirement would have required students entering the College as early as fall 2013 to take a GE class that covers both conflict and collaboration that can emerge through differences in communities.

About 29.3 percent of eligible faculty members voted on the ballot measure.

Students and faculty members have been pushing for a diversity-related requirement for about 25 years. The university has attempted to introduce a diversity-related requirement twice before without success ““ once in 1987, and again in 2004. The proposal rejected today had been in the works since 2010.

For background, here’s Daily Bruin coverage leading up to the vote:

Students lobbied professors to vote for the requirement.

The UCLA School of the Arts and Architecture passed its own diversity requirement
in 2007.

As the College faculty-wide vote approached, it was still unclear whether the outcome would be different than previous outcomes.

The faculty vote was the latest step in a process that has evolved over the course of a decade.

Compiled by Jillian Beck, Bruin reporter.