Monday, May 6, 2024

_Battle of the Columnists:_

The UCLA women’s water polo team fell in the semifinals of the NCAA championships after a stellar season that saw an MPSF tournament championship and 10-game winning streak.

By Eric Peck and Jacob Ruffman

Do you think the women’s water polo team will respond next year to compete for a national championship?

Eric Peck: UCLA lost to USC in the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament a week after they beat them in the second round of the MPSF Tournament; if anything lights a fire under a team, it’s got to be that. Despite losing a ton of senior leadership, I think memories of this postseason will stay with the Bruins and motivate them to push even harder next year.

Jacob Ruffman: After losing three consecutive championships, the UCLA women’s water polo team is now officially in a title drought. I really thought they were going to bring it home this season, and while losing KK Clark and Caitlin Dement hurts, UCLA has some quality underclassmen who will step in. I have high hopes for sophomore utility Becca Dorst to lead the squad.

The softball team experienced an early exit from the postseason despite hosting an NCAA Regional. Surprised?

Eric Peck: I was definitely surprised to see softball drop the first two games of the postseason, and I think they were probably just as surprised as I was. That being said, they did lose the final two regular-season games against Oregon going into Regionals. They also had two losing streaks of at least four games and one of three games this season, so make of that what you will.

Jacob Ruffman: How can you not be surprised with UCLA softball taking an early exit from the NCAA tournament? UCLA is a brand name in softball and I really don’t know what kind of exposure the sport will get without the Bruins making noise in the tournament. This year seemed like there was something missing from the start, but I believe 2013 will bring a better season.

Men’s tennis lost to USC in the NCAA semifinals. Which athlete will lead the team next year?

Eric Peck: It seems like the men’s tennis season was a little overshadowed by the women’s team this year, but the men’s squad has some great potential on their roster. Freshman Dennis Mkrtchian led the Bruins with a 35-9 overall record this season and appears poised to have a breakout season in 2013.

Jacob Ruffman: Senior Nick Meister was a huge part of the squad this year both on and off the court and his leadership will be tough to replace. That being said, I believe sophomore Clay Thompson, who was the No. 1 singles player for the Bruins late in the season, will take the reigns as the leader and bring the Bruins back to make a deep run into the playoffs.

Eric Peck