Sunday, May 5, 2024

In the Know: Brown's Budget

By Gina Kass

The story is not new: California is losing money for public education, and students are suffering. But a new study released by the Public Policy Institute of California gives us a new perspective on the implications of these budget cuts for the state as a whole.

The report found that enrollment in California public universities by Californians is declining, in spite of increased high school graduation rates and completion of the required A-G courses. The report also found that more Californians are going out of state to pursue higher education.

The rejection of California’s public higher education system by high school graduates is not surprising as the system is in crisis. Gov. Jerry Brown’s budget, released Monday, will cut $250 million from the University of California if new taxes on high-income Californians are not implemented.

If Californians do not act in support of public higher education by voting for the tax increase on people whose incomes are more than $250,000, the system will fall further into chaos. The revenue from this tax increase will go to other state services, along with public education.

Tuition at the California State University already is set to rise 9 percent this fall, and the UC Board of Regents is considering a 6 percent tuition increase for next year.

This situation will deter more and more students from entering the public education system, and in turn, will further diminish support for the system. Though now it seems easy to escape the increasing costs and decreasing course offerings by leaving California for college, in the long run California will end up hurting more for the lack of educated in-state youth to bolster the economy.

The UC’s mission statement says, “Through (their) academic programs, UC helps create an educated workforce that keeps the California economy competitive.” This implies the UC system is an investment by Californians through taxes, to better the economy of California by educating future residents. But as the study shows, if students are leaving California, the investment will become null.

Many CSUs have frozen enrollment for spring 2013, and some have taken drastic measures. CSU Long Beach, will reduce its unit cap from 18 units per semester to 13.

These sorts of actions are not conducive to the environment California public universities should be fostering. Educational opportunities should be maximized and costs minimized ““ not vice versa. The environment has become toxic ““ instead of students seeing each other as contemporaries in intellectual discourse, the situation necessitates them to see each other as competitors. Competitors not just for good grades but for a seat in a class.

This is no new development, however. The numbers released in the study show that this problem is manifesting itself in students leaving the system, which is inherently damaging.

Students should understand that even though fees are rising in public institutions, the UC, CSU and California Community Colleges systems are still valuable investments for our future. The UC was founded on the belief that through education supported by the state, California would see profit through the translation of intellect to industry.

Students who leave the state may be put off by fee hikes, which only continue to increase because of California’s failed economy. And the only way to pick the economy back up is through investment in our future movers and shakers.

Email Kass at

[email protected]. Send general comments to

[email protected] or tweet us @DBOpinion.

Gina Kass