Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Court of Sciences Student Center numbers show sustained popularity

Since opening two months ago, the Court of Sciences Student Center has performed well in sales, exceeding expectations.

By Yanting Li

In the heart of South Campus ““ with its sun-splashed deck and clusters of tables and chairs ““ the newly-built Court of Sciences Student Center has become a destination for students looking for a quick bite to eat or a place to spend time between classes.

Since opening last quarter, the South Campus student center has attracted students, faculty and staff with its varied food options and student store.

The numbers reflect its popularity: the new center has seen more than twice the sales of Bombshelter, the former South Campus food center, and more than four times the sales of the food trucks that were brought in temporarily, said Cindy Bolton, director of food services for Associated Students UCLA.

Sitting at a white table outside under the shade, Jennifer Lee eats a Subway sandwich while pouring over her class notes.

Lee, a fourth-year biology student, said she goes to the student center at least four times a week.

“If I only have a 50-minute break between classes, or if I want to munch on something while I study, this is the place to do it,” Lee said. “I can sit inside or outside, and it’s much more relaxing than the library.”

When it first opened, the center exceeded expectations in food sales. The most popular destinations are Subway and Yoshinoya, which are doing much better than expected, Bolton said.

“As we came into the end of (last) quarter, things were naturally slower,” Bolton said. “This quarter we’ve had a slower start, but we are not sure how much of that is due to the recent rainy and cold weather. That was something we couldn’t have planned for.”

Though sales have dropped off since then because of finals and spring break, both the restaurants and the student store have still been doing very well, she said. On an average day, sales numbers exceed expected numbers by 20 percent.

In general, the slower sales volumes have been expected because people often flock to new places when they first open, but then stop going as frequently after the novelty has worn off, Bolton said.

In fact, sales needed to drop off because the student center was becoming too crowded, she said.

Some students had complained about long lines and limited seating when it first opened.

“It used to be pretty crowded, and I would just go to the least busy line (for food),” said Brandon Kamrava, a second-year bioengineering student. “Now it’s not nearly as bad.”

Kamrava is a regular at the student center and eats there about three times a week because it is close to his classes, he said. He also goes at night before heading to the library.

No major changes have been made to the center since its opening. Some smaller operational changes that have been made were mostly invisible to customers, such as reducing the labor force and structural changes in the building itself, Bolton said.

Though Bolton acknowledged that sales from the South Campus Student Center would take away sales from other ASUCLA restaurants, she said ASUCLA planned for this shift. This occurs anytime ASUCLA opens something new, she said.

Despite the student center’s popularity, some students only stop by occasionally because of price or inconvenience.

Ben Goldman, a second-year music student, said he eats at the South Campus Student Center only once or twice a month because Ackerman Student Union has cheaper options, such as Taco Bell.

Goldman added that he’d like to see something different in the student center’s repertoire.

“The food is pretty similar to what you have everywhere else ““ sandwiches, burgers,” he said. “I’d like to see them switch it up.”

While major changes are unlikely to occur in the near future, ASUCLA is looking for ways to improve the center, Bolton said.

Future changes that are in discussion include rotating menu items to keep choices interesting and possibly extending hours of operation.

Yanting Li